Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhyss01)
    Can anyone remember what the had for the 2 questions on the basement membrane part? After the collagen question. Something along the lines on how it looked like the one in the diagram and how it caused kidney failure

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Due to lack of Collagen which is a fibrous protein which provides the strength for basement membrane to withstand the high hydrostatic pressure from the heart will damage the structure for the basement membrane and therefore failed to act as a molecular sieve and selective barrier to separate the small soluble molecule and the large molecules such as protein are able to pass through so proteins are appeared in the urine.
    Hope this is helpful!
    I remembered most of the answers so feel free to ask me anything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kylemiller)
    Due to lack of Collagen which is a fibrous protein which provides the strength for basement membrane to withstand the high hydrostatic pressure from the heart will damage the structure for the basement membrane and therefore failed to act as a molecular sieve and selective barrier to separate the small soluble molecule and the large molecules such as protein are able to pass through so proteins are appeared in the urine.
    Hope this is helpful!
    I remembered most of the answers so feel free to ask me anything!
    This is actually more of a technical/exams question. The respiratory substrates question, standard glycerol to triose phosphate, fatty acid molecules to acetyl CoA, proteins to a krebs cycle intermediate. All I was wondering - and I spent far too long over this in the exam - was where you drew the arrows? I put glycerol AFTER the triose phosphate box, fatty acids AFTER acetyl CoA and proteins at the same place, reasoning they'd just be fed in and the exam didn't want us counting carbons - where did you put them? Or am I just being overly paranoid about the specificity of WJEC marking (as if!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samwray)
    This is actually more of a technical/exams question. The respiratory substrates question, standard glycerol to triose phosphate, fatty acid molecules to acetyl CoA, proteins to a krebs cycle intermediate. All I was wondering - and I spent far too long over this in the exam - was where you drew the arrows? I put glycerol AFTER the triose phosphate box, fatty acids AFTER acetyl CoA and proteins at the same place, reasoning they'd just be fed in and the exam didn't want us counting carbons - where did you put them? Or am I just being overly paranoid about the specificity of WJEC marking (as if!)
    I put before the triose phosphate and before the acetyl CoA but i think we will be fine as long as put the arrows next to the correct molecules but we can never be too sure since it is WJEC lol
    And i think we are both correct because if you put it before the triose phosphate it means it is entering the glycolysis and if you put it after it just means it is being used in the glycolysis so finger cross.....

ReputationRep:
    I actually pointed to them the box, like I pointed glycerol to triose phosphate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumeyyatontus)
    I actually pointed to them the box, like I pointed glycerol to triose phosphate
    So did I, in my school notes the arrows point to the boxes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1997x)
    It was chemical because you were applying the Bt to the leaf, rather than using a predator which is biological. Only 1 mark though
    It was biological cause it said it was pest specific.

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundaries go off the average mark from everyone

So if the average is 40.1 a 'C' will be 40 or 41. and they go from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thackness)
    Grade boundaries go off the average mark from everyone

So if the average is 40.1 a 'C' will be 40 or 41. and they go from there.
    I think they work the other way round, there is a fixed ratio of students can achieve an A* or an A. Once they've met this percentage of students by altering the grade boundaries, the rest are determined respectively. I could be wrong but that's what I heard. It makes sense because a lot of the time a C grade isn't necessarily the mean mark. Sometimes it's higher than the mean, sometimes it's lower, but it is definitely proximal.

ReputationRep:
    It's ******** that they allocate grades as an average. That's what they tell us they do and what they're meant to do but they don't. It's a contributing factor but not the sole decider

ReputationRep:
    can give input if needed, remember most of the exam
    trying to put an unofficial markscheme together
    could do with some help
    feel free to add questions or marks
    then we can try and figure out answers

question 1 viruses
    -why is it impossible to culture viruses
    -what are amino acid growth factor used for
    -what are purine growth factor used for
    -how to dispose of the bacteria culture
    -what is an obligate host aerobe

question 2 kidney
    -how do the three animals differ in kidney structure
    -what can you tell about where they lived
    -what can you tell about the sheep's environment
    -the structure of collagen (2)
    -explain the symptoms of the disease (lack of collagen)
    -explain the high volume of urine when glucose is present

question 3 plants
    -where is the most amount of chloroplast (1)
    -how is co2 incorporated into triose phosphate (4)
    -the difference between the action and the energy spectrum

question 4 atp synthesis
    -something about RQ??
    -how is ATP used in the muscles
    -label how different molecules enter respiration (3)

question 5 pest management
    -what kind of pest management is BT
    -what are 2 advantages
    -what is the disadvantage of it

question 6 microbiology
    -how are gram negative bacteria protected

question 7 nerve impulses
    -how does heat effect action potentials (3)
    -explain the loss of sensation in patients with leprosy
    -elderly patients and acetylechoesterase
    -how does cocaine synapse transmissions

question 8
    10 marker on cyclic and non-cyclic photo phosphorylation

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone put their By4 paper in for a remark? Did your marks increase?? Please let me know asap
    I hope everyones happy with their results

ReputationRep:
    Soooo happy got A* A A. Bio and chem are A grade and A* in psychology 😊😊😊😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Average.98)
    Soooo happy got A* A A. Bio and chem are A grade and A* in psychology 😊😊😊😊
    Did you get your papers remarked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForeverAStudent1)
    Has anyone put their By4 paper in for a remark? Did your marks increase?? Please let me know asap
    I hope everyones happy with their results
    I was one mark off an A in by4, pretty happy with that! Got an E in by5 though.. Lmao

ReputationRep:
    A in Bio overall (scraped A's in BY4 & BY5) YAAS

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone answer these questions Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475349344.850433.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  53.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475349352.861734.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  52.6 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.