Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I couldnt work out the action potential one. i ended up putting that higher temperatures generate a lower action potential so less potassium channels need to open to repolarise the membrane. Seemed the only credible thing to put at the time -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1997x)
    It was chemical because you were applying the Bt to the leaf, rather than using a predator which is biological. Only 1 mark though
    Not saying I'm right but most people I know put biological because its a naturally occurring pathogen? Not an artifical chemical

ReputationRep:
    i put something like increased kinetic energy so k+ diffuse out faster, therefore will close quicker? Something like that..

ReputationRep:
    Thank god you guys also put biological control, thought i'd got that wrong ;P Ugh, what a horrible paper.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know when the paper will be online? ran out of time and want to see how many marks i've missed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1997x)
    It was chemical because you were applying the Bt to the leaf, rather than using a predator which is biological. Only 1 mark though
    But Bt was a parasite (I think that's what it said) and biological control is either predators or parasites!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumeyyatontus)
    Not saying I'm right but most people I know put biological because its a naturally occurring pathogen? Not an artifical chemical
    Not going to lie, I didnt even think about that. You're probably right. What a joke WJEC are. That exam wasnt testing your knowledge it was testing your ability to guess what answers are on the mark scheme!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ser_)
    What did people get for the 3 mark on the effect of temperature change of the action potential?
    looking at the graph alone i think i put that the k+ ion channels open sooner at higher temperatures (depolarisation started sooner on the 33° line) and they close faster (hyperpolarisation was much shorter in duration and less negative)

for the effect on action potential alone, i think i wrote that speed of conduction is faster as action potential was shorter, refractory period was shorter so another action potential can be generated sooner and i cant remember what else

whether or not thats right though is another story. the amount of applied questions threw me on that paper. hopefully grade boundaries are average-low for this year.

ReputationRep:
    What did people put for the drug questions? The cocaine one and the other one

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys write for the question on carbon dioxide being incorporated into triose phosphate?

ReputationRep:
    I so messed up the synapse questions. -.- Just forgot everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by four4)
    What did you guys write for the question on carbon dioxide being incorporated into triose phosphate?
    i outlined the whole calvin cycle haha. i got confused because i was sure co2 is only involved at the start and triose phosphate is the last compound before being regenerated back into rubp, the starting compound. so i just went fully circle haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamsyng)
    What did people put for the drug questions? The cocaine one and the other one
    Inhibitor:
    Cholinesterase was inhibited because active site changed so acetylcholine couldnt bind to the enzyme. Means that acetylcholine remains on the receptor molecules and therefore impulses were quicker.

Cocaine:
    Dopamine channels blocked. Dopamine builds up in the synaptic cleft and continuously binds to receptor molecules even if there is not action potential. So cocaine is an excitary drug because action potentials keep being propagated.

Think that's right but not 100%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by four4)
    Yeah, i just mentioned Ribuolse bisphosphate reacting with co2 (catalysed by Rubisco) Producing G-3-P. Then gets reduced to triose phopshate by NAD and using energy from ATP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by four4)
    I wrote about the Calvin Cycle up to triose phosphate, nothing after that, the wording of the question was so weird though!! They could have easily just asked described the process of obtaining triose phosphate from carbon dioxide!

ReputationRep:
    i said that at higher temperatures the K+ channels would be open allowing k+ to leave countering the influx of na+ thats why the action potential is lower at higher temp. correct or nah?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edenjxde)
    looking at the graph alone i think i put that the k+ ion channels open sooner at higher temperatures (depolarisation started sooner on the 33° line) and they close faster (hyperpolarisation was much shorter in duration and less negative)

for the effect on action potential alone, i think i wrote that speed of conduction is faster as action potential was shorter, refractory period was shorter so another action potential can be generated sooner and i cant remember what else

whether or not thats right though is another story. the amount of applied questions threw me on that paper. hopefully grade boundaries are average-low for this year.
    Yeah i wrote something along those line! Yeah i agree, there were so many applied questions!! It's difficult to know how you did at this point though because you never know what's the exact answer to a question of that type and there were hardly any pure recall questions

ReputationRep:
    what did people put for the amino acid and purines and pyrimidine question?

i said amino acids for protein synthesis and purines ect for dna synthesis. anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    What are people saying for Grade boundaries? (BY4), Last year it was: A=56, B=51, C=47, D=43, E=39.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squashy_josh)
    what did people put for the amino acid and purines and pyrimidine question?

i said amino acids for protein synthesis and purines ect for dna synthesis. anyone else?
    I said protein synthesis for the amino acid one and I put nucleotide synthesis for purines and pyrimidines just incase they were being picky, like they usually are

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.