Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squashy_josh)
    what did people put for the amino acid and purines and pyrimidine question?

i said amino acids for protein synthesis and purines ect for dna synthesis. anyone else?
    yes, i put amino acids to manufacture proteins and then the bases for dna synthesis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raaaas)
    Are the grade boundries for HB4 and BY4 the same?
    No they are separate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squashy_josh)
    what did people put for the amino acid and purines and pyrimidine question?

i said amino acids for protein synthesis and purines ect for dna synthesis. anyone else?
    I put those but i didn't write synthesis, do you think I've lost the marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BubbleLover98)
    yes, i put amino acids to manufacture proteins and then the bases for dna synthesis
    Yes! I also said about protein synthesis .. but for the other one . I said synthesis of nucleic acid ( said it in the book and spec #not sure)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Average.98)
    Yes! I also said about protein synthesis .. but for the other one . I said synthesis of nucleic acid ( said it in the book and spec #not sure)
    I hope they aren't going to be that specific for a 1 marker But knowing WJEC, they probably will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SCIENCE :D)
    What are people saying for Grade boundaries? (BY4), Last year it was: A=56, B=51, C=47, D=43, E=39.
    Something similar I reckon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumeyyatontus)
    Not saying I'm right but most people I know put biological because its a naturally occurring pathogen? Not an artifical chemical
    I thought this too but I stuck with chemical control because it was sprayed on and plus the description said it persists for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mango88)
    Yeah i wrote something along those line! Yeah i agree, there were so many applied questions!! It's difficult to know how you did at this point though because you never know what's the exact answer to a question of that type and there were hardly any pure recall questions
    i know! even the first question struck me a bit, and everyone got out wondering what on earth just happened someone else told me that there was a paper like this a while back (june 2012 i think it was? I'm not sure) and the grade boundaries were quite low, 55 for A, so hopefully similar things for this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Average.98)
    I put nucleic acids too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1997x)
    It was chemical because you were applying the Bt to the leaf, rather than using a predator which is biological. Only 1 mark though
    I put biological because it wouldn't harm any other species but yh one mark oh well

ReputationRep:
    i put that it was biological as the BT was actually a parasite to the caterpillar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faisalshamallakh)
    i didn't do by4, i did hb4 and the paper was actually very standard. It was definitely one of the nicer papers!
    are u serious ?!!!

ReputationRep:
    I think maybe something lower you know, I founf it harder than most past papers that I have done, maybe: A=53, B=50, C=46, D=42, E=37.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tamsyng)
    I put nucleic acids too!
    i put synthesis of DNA for the second one (purines and pyramidines)

ReputationRep:
    I thought the action potential affected by temperature was easy but questioned it after. I thought it was pretty obvious like longer or slower time of resting potential, higher mv of and shorter/faster hyperpolarisation/refractory-period and axon membrane depolarises less at lower mv?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumpy97)
    are u serious ?!!!
    Yeah I thought it was pretty straight forward. Definitely a couple of questions that were made to be difficult, but much less than I was expecting.

Why how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    in regards to the question about if it was chemical/biological control, our notes have the definition as biological control as:

the use of a predator, parasite or disease of a pest species to reduce the population of the pest below economic injury level

i did consider changing it to chemical a few times! it was definitely up there in terms of obscurity!

ReputationRep:
    But this was well harder than last years .. I reckon A will be 47-50 marks ... 49 I would say will be an A (average)

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it was biological, just because you spray it that doesn't mean it's a chemical

ReputationRep:
    guys what did you say for the three marker on why there is a high volume of urine when glucose is in the blood and what was the answer for why virus cannot be grown on a sterile nutrient medium

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.