Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

the look on the waiters face when you dont tip them; priceless Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    The look on your face when your Mastercard gets decline; priceless.
    looooooooool

ReputationRep:
    You will pay in working tax credits then. Or just the traditional way, a gob in your food or the cabbie "accidentally" taking you round the back streets.

ReputationRep:
    I always tip 10% unless the service was noticeably lousy. Many restaurants assume that their staff will be tipped a certain amount, and pay them lower wages in consequence. It should not be that way, and we need strong labour protection laws to ensure that workers are fairly compensated. But until that is the case across the board, I am happy to help where I can, especially as some working in these jobs struggle to make ends meet, or are doing it on top of another job that doesn't pay enough or doesn't guarantee enough hours. Working in the catering industry is extremely gruelling labour. I know, because I've done it.
    For those people in the thread who worked in fast food joints or other places where tips aren't common... well that sucks, but how does taking away others' good fortune make your bad fortune any better? It doesn't. That's just mean spirited.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by vonbroten)
    This really makes me laugh.
    I work as a waitress/barista/bartender, and never ever have I - or any of my colleagues - expected our customers to tip.

EDIT: And obviously I'm not a tipper, either.
    I've worked behind bars in quite a few places and my expectation for getting tipped varies enormously.

When I've worked at a small local beer festival in a pub I don't expect a tip. On the rare times someone does chuck a quid my way it goes into the change box because the landlady pays me extremely well that I don't need tips.

On the other hand, I used to work at a racecourse for a recruitment agency which meant 8 or 9 hour shifts without a break*, rude customers and very intense work and we got (imo) good tips, usually about £10-£15 per shift. Thankfully some of the customers were not so full of themselves that they realised we were working under difficult conditions and tipped us accordingly.

*I know that legally I'm entitled to a break after 6 hours but being with a recruitment agency means that if walking up to the manager and saying "I'm taking my break now" in the middle of the busiest period (six hours into the shift) it's a very VERY effective way of never getting hired again by the agency. In the end I worked out that taking the bins out allowed me to take a few minutes rest every couple of hours or so.

Anyway, I tip restaurant staff if the service and/or food is notably good - as I see it they have to earn their tips. But usually I'll give maybe £1 or £2 because I'm not made of money. Having said that, the last time I got takeaway delivered I gave the driver £2 because I was feeling generous. All he did was drive my parmo and bottle of fanta half a mile and hand it to me at my door.

ReputationRep:
    Is tipping really a thing in UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    (...)

On the other hand, I used to work at a racecourse for a recruitment agency which meant 8 or 9 hour shifts without a break*, rude customers and very intense work and we got (imo) good tips, usually about £10-£15 per shift. Thankfully some of the customers were not so full of themselves that they realised we were working under difficult conditions and tipped us accordingly.

(...)
    We've all been there, friend, and since I'm typing this I have, obviously, as well. But it doesn't make me more entitled to other people's money, and I don't expect them to tip me. It is not our guests fault that our boss' can be awful, and that we're not allowed or able to sit down (for whatever the reason, situation or circumstance). Therefore, it is not their problem. And money won't help my sore feet haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gherk)
    Is tipping really a thing in UK?
    I think it's fairly common. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'll be the hated wherever I go if waiting staff expect it, though. I never tip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vonbroten)
    I think it's fairly common. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I'll be the hated wherever I go if waiting staff expect it, though. I never tip.
    I don't think it is. I know that my mum does it in restaurants, but a lot of the times I've paid for only the meal on my card. I know that in the US it's a thing because the servers make below minimum wage. I don't think it's right to believe it's obligatory in UK though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gherk)
    I don't think it is. I know that my mum does it in restaurants, but a lot of the times I've paid for only the meal on my card. I know that in the US it's a thing because the servers make below minimum wage. I don't think it's right to believe it's obligatory in UK though.
    Thanks for clearing things up a little.
    The only times I've been to the UK my friends, classmates or family has tipped for me because they think i'm rude when I don't. I always get told something like "They do this here, and we don't like it either, but let's try to be polite."

ReputationRep:
    I'm not giving small loans to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    we i tip and i do tip big as i worked in the industry but only if service is good i will tip £5 a lot as it just to small to worry about as i have if i'm dining out at an establishment worthy of tipping then i have just made a grand or two at least say if they have a bottle of champagne to put on ice for me that's tip worthy or the food was just perfect then i'll tip more

(Original post by Foo.mp3)
    have you seen the therory about this
    basically it's about pink and how he was in the industry and well that links to reservoir dogs to pulp fiction in which the actor was a waiter which must have come before it as he didn't get tipped so he doesn't tip others but then it get confusing as some events in the two films appear to run in correspondence as they are both 'life films' as well as jackie brown but theos stars who watch the 'nonlife films' in there own sense of the world

ReputationRep:
    I gave 15 quid to the pizza guy a while ago and was due £3 change back, he said "How much change do you want back?". I said I was due back £3 and he repeated the question :rofl: He then got out £3 in change, a £2 coin and a bunch of 20ps and 10ps and reluctantly said "I can give you back the £3 if you want it?" I was thinking "m8 u r 1 cheeky kent askin me 4 a tip omg" but I'm such a ****ing good guy (and I hate carrying pennies) that I just took the £2 coin and let him keep the rest. He seemed very grateful, my wallet was a bit lighter, everybody wins

ReputationRep:
    I tip modestly when I've had decent service in the UK. It's just a nice gesture when someone's been serving you :dontknow:

What I do not understand is tipping a percentage of the bill. I don't really understand why I should give a waiter more money because they happened to be bringing me more expensive food. I'll suck it up and do it if it's the local custom (as in the US, for instance), but it doesn't make much sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Darn! You beat me to it.
    Excellent scene, by the way. Buscemi's a riot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    The look on your face when your Mastercard gets decline; priceless.
    I believe since there is a discriminatory pay gap for minority groups like Muslims for example, they should get tips to make up for the discriminatory pay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    pink .. the actor was a waiter which must have come before it as he didn't get tipped so he doesn't tip others
    Holy ****, you're right, Steve Buschemi appears as a waiter in Pulp Fiction! Learn something new every day

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.