Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I am enquiring about a new application. I have previously studied at university, I have tried a few different courses and universities but I have never completed my second year. So I already have student loan debt.

The reason I did not complete my courses was because I have suffered with depression and anxiety for my whole life. I could not face going to classes some days or living away from home so I gave up. I had no support and was not aware of my illness until it was formally diagnosed in 2014 when I experienced a breakdown. Without going into too much detail, I had supressed memories of a traumatic childhood which returned to me. I have now been through counselling and various trauma therapies, and I am on anti-depressants, and I am now in a much, much better place. I believe I can finally complete my studies. Now I am aware of my illness I can better control it and I would seek support at the university if I started.

I work full time in a minimum wage job but there is very little room for progression in my field and I am struggling to move forward without a degree. I did four A Levels when I was in College and achieved AAAB, so academically I am able to complete my degree, but my illness got in my way. I am now 28 years old, so college was a decade ago, but I still believe I am capable of more than my minimum wage job. I want to study Counselling so I can help people and make something negative of what I experienced as a child. I have credits that I can transfer to an Open University degree that will allow me to start in the second year, so I will have two years to study to complete my degree.

Due to my current student debt, I'm not sure exactly how much it is but I believe it to be a lot, would I be able to apply for support to complete my studies? I can get evidence from my GP, therapist or psychiatrist to support my application. I can continue working while I study if necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have now come to terms with the underlying causes of my depression but I can not progress in my life due to the damage it has caused. Thanks.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by sqlpsy)
    Hi. I am enquiring about a new application. I have previously studied at university, I have tried a few different courses and universities but I have never completed my second year. So I already have student loan debt.

The reason I did not complete my courses was because I have suffered with depression and anxiety for my whole life. I could not face going to classes some days or living away from home so I gave up. I had no support and was not aware of my illness until it was formally diagnosed in 2014 when I experienced a breakdown. Without going into too much detail, I had supressed memories of a traumatic childhood which returned to me. I have now been through counselling and various trauma therapies, and I am on anti-depressants, and I am now in a much, much better place. I believe I can finally complete my studies. Now I am aware of my illness I can better control it and I would seek support at the university if I started.

I work full time in a minimum wage job but there is very little room for progression in my field and I am struggling to move forward without a degree. I did four A Levels when I was in College and achieved AAAB, so academically I am able to complete my degree, but my illness got in my way. I am now 28 years old, so college was a decade ago, but I still believe I am capable of more than my minimum wage job. I want to study Counselling so I can help people and make something negative of what I experienced as a child. I have credits that I can transfer to an Open University degree that will allow me to start in the second year, so I will have two years to study to complete my degree.

Due to my current student debt, I'm not sure exactly how much it is but I believe it to be a lot, would I be able to apply for support to complete my studies? I can get evidence from my GP, therapist or psychiatrist to support my application. I can continue working while I study if necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have now come to terms with the underlying causes of my depression but I can not progress in my life due to the damage it has caused. Thanks.
    Your best option is to simply apply. You need to disclose your previous study years (make sure you don't say that you were awarded a degree) and if there is a tick box for "compelling personal reasons " tick it. If not use the "any other info " box to briefly explain the reasons and offer to provide evidence if required.

If this doesn't work then you might be better off watching for PWP vacancies near you. https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...g-practitioner
    PWPs delivery low intensity cbt and the course is NHS funded and studied alongside paid full time work in a training post. There's a graduate and an undergraduate route available so you would be eligible to do the course if selected for one of the vacancies (http://www.jobs.nhs.uk/xi/vacancy/97..._ref=914116900 is an example trainee advert)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.