Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkberry_y)
    No, we do not need to create even more of a nanny state. People should be able to exercise some self control and be responsible for their own weight
    Telling people to exercise themselves isn't working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Telling people to exercise themselves isn't working.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We need to get rid of the culture of fat acceptance, not fatty food

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    it is really carrot & stick.
    benefits could be increased as people lose weight, for instance.
    The problem with this is the providers though. It's more expensive to buy a bag of apples than a 4 pack of mars bars. And which one would you prefer? So you go hungrier but are healthy or have bad food. And also under this system it would have to be BMI not weight, cos I know fat people, who weigh the same as me but they're 1-1 1/2ft shorter than me. But would it e fair if I got the same allowance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobSausage)
    The problem with this is the providers though. It's more expensive to buy a bag of apples than a 4 pack of mars bars. And which one would you prefer? So you go hungrier but are healthy or have bad food. And also under this system it would have to be BMI not weight, cos I know fat people, who weigh the same as me but they're 1-1 1/2ft shorter than me. But would it e fair if I got the same allowance?
    BMI isn't a great indicator either, doesn't distinguish fat from muscle.

ReputationRep:
    I place the blame at the hands of fit and thin people. We aren't bullying the chubby enough.

ReputationRep:
    Obesity has been going on for a lot of people, not just poor or middle class. True, junk food may be cheaper, but also people are greedy. People eat more than they need to. Some eat because they are bored and have nothing to do. I've also heard the more you eat the bigger your stomach so the more you feel hungry. It's easy to put on weight but hard to lose it, and because it's not unusual to be fat they might not feel inclined to lose weight, or they are depressed and eat more. I was suprised to see a woman buy 3 tubs of exspensive ice cream from tesco the other day and she even asked her companion to get one more.

ReputationRep:
    (1) Diet?
    (2)Genetics?
    (3) Life choices?

But mainly the person whose obese. THere are plenty of grocery stores that sell veggies and healthy frozen foods. You don't have shop at high priced vegan stores for hipsters. Its not even about eating veggies and fruits at all. If you consume less fast food and watch your calorie intake you can maintain your weight. Its okay to have a cheese burger once in a while but everyday?

The people who know that they're packing pounds and allowed themselves to reach that weight are at fault.

ReputationRep:
    In 99% of cases It is their own fault, people are obese because they exceed their body's daily calorie requirements, which is their own doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    In 99% of cases It is their own fault, people are obese because they exceed their body's daily calorie requirements, which is their own doing.
    Well yes of course.

We can however make that clearly indicated on food when we go to the shops such as the traffic light system and just as importantly lower the amounts of salt, fat and sugar in products.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I place part of the blame on TV adverisements. I mean I find somewhat ironic that you see an adverisement about a new McDonald's burger type, only for it to be followed by a weight loss advertisement from Diet Chef for example. :rofl:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.