Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

How do you know the particles will move off in the same direction after collision?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by khanpatel321)

How do you know the particles will move off in the same direction after collision?
    You're taking right as positive, so since your v_2 is positive, this means the second ball moves to the right and since your v_1 is negative (u is positive by definition) then the first ball moves to the left after the collision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    You're taking right as positive, so since your v_2 is positive, this means the second ball moves to the right and since your v_1 is negative (u is positive by definition) then the first ball moves to the left after the collision.
    Both balls are moving to the right after collision according to the mark scheme above?

ReputationRep:
    Both balls are moving to the right after collision according to the mark scheme above?
    No, they've put the arrow facing to the right but the velocity is negative, so it opposes the direction of the arrow. I can say I am moving downwards -1 metres to mean I'm moving upwards 1 metre. So it says the first vall is moving to the right at a negative velocity means that it is actually moving to the left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    No, they've put the arrow facing to the right but the velocity is negative, so it opposes the direction of the arrow. I can say I am moving downwards -1 metres to mean I'm moving upwards 1 metre. So it says the first vall is moving to the right at a negative velocity means that it is actually moving to the left.
    Oh ok now I get it. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok now I get it. Thank you
    Until you have solved the problem, you won't know which the particles are going to move after the collision, in general, so you have to assume a direction. The signs then tell you if your assumed directions were correct. It makes no difference if you point your assumed vectors to the left or right; the signs will tell you all that you need to know.

One point: it is always a good idea to label 1D vector problems with a big clear +ve arrow, before you start work. This stops you becoming confused about what sign to give any particular vector - if it points in the same direction as that arrow, it's +ve, if not it's -ve. It makes no difference where you point the arrow "left" or "right". (Note that the people who wrote the mark scheme *didn't* do this - that's sloppy)

This becomes more important when you have two connected particles, both undergoing 1D motion, such as in pulley problems. You should then assign a +ve direction arrow to *each* particle, prior to drawing a free-body diagram, and label vectors as +ve or -ve relative to the arrow for that particle. (And again, it makes no difference which way these arrows point, as long as you stick to the convention that they indicate)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.