Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a position where I might be looking at moving to Germany in the summer but I'd obviously need work. I currently work as a teaching assistant so doing something like TEFL seems to make sense. I have a degree and I have 2 years of experience in classrooms, I've led my own classes in that time (incl. planning, marking, testing) and I work with a lot of EAL students (although for me that means trying to teach maths to someone who doesn't speak english rather than teaching them english). I am pretty short on money though. I'm looking at a 120 hour course that includes a weekend in the classroom but I just did some searching on here and it looks like that might not get me a job in Europe? Does anyone know more about this? I obviously don't want to spend money on something which won't get me a job but I don't know I can afford a full CELTA course. I assume I'd struggle to get a 'normal' job in Germany as i don't speak the language (obviously I'll learn as much as I can but I have no german knowledge at all).

ReputationRep:
    You don't need knowledge of a foreign ;language to teach with a TEFL qualification in England so presumably you would be able to teach English in Germany with one. IDK I know it can be very well paid though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    You don't need knowledge of a foreign ;language to teach with a TEFL qualification in England so presumably you would be able to teach English in Germany with one. IDK I know it can be very well paid though.
    yeah I know I wouldn't need to speak much German to do TEFL more that if TEFL doesn't work out then I think I'd find it hard to get any other job!

the pay isn't very important, I'm moving with my partner who will have a decent wage, I just want to have something coming in so I have my own source of money (and something to do)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle_333)
    yeah I know I wouldn't need to speak much German to do TEFL more that if TEFL doesn't work out then I think I'd find it hard to get any other job!

the pay isn't very important, I'm moving with my partner who will have a decent wage, I just want to have something coming in so I have my own source of money (and something to do)
    Cool if your partner is in the forces you'll have a whole community around you and their wives will be able to tell you about available work. If not or either way really you'll pick uo German much quicker being ih the native country. Something to do is important as you'll get bored otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a position where I might be looking at moving to Germany in the summer but I'd obviously need work. I currently work as a teaching assistant so doing something like TEFL seems to make sense. I have a degree and I have 2 years of experience in classrooms, I've led my own classes in that time (incl. planning, marking, testing) and I work with a lot of EAL students (although for me that means trying to teach maths to someone who doesn't speak english rather than teaching them english). I am pretty short on money though. I'm looking at a 120 hour course that includes a weekend in the classroom but I just did some searching on here and it looks like that might not get me a job in Europe? Does anyone know more about this? I obviously don't want to spend money on something which won't get me a job but I don't know I can afford a full CELTA course. I assume I'd struggle to get a 'normal' job in Germany as i don't speak the language (obviously I'll learn as much as I can but I have no german knowledge at all).
    Most of Europe is quite fussy about qualifications. I teach in Portugal and my school only accepts the CELTA and Trinity TESOL as recognised qualifications.
    There is one by the TEFL Academy or whatever there name is which is similar and might be enough. You might find it better looking a job websites and just emailing schools to ask for their requirements before you commit to a course though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    Most of Europe is quite fussy about qualifications. I teach in Portugal and my school only accepts the CELTA and Trinity TESOL as recognised qualifications.
    There is one by the TEFL Academy or whatever there name is which is similar and might be enough. You might find it better looking a job websites and just emailing schools to ask for their requirements before you commit to a course though.
    I emailed a couple of TEFL providers and they seemed to think it was okay (although I guess they have a vested interest!). Do you not think it would look bad to email a potential employer asking what the bare minimum I need to work there is?

ReputationRep:
    I emailed a couple of TEFL providers and they seemed to think it was okay (although I guess they have a vested interest!). Do you not think it would look bad to email a potential employer asking what the bare minimum I need to work there is?
    I would what is the worse they can say?
    TEFL providers seem to tell you anything. I did a weekend course where they told me that I could easily get a job in Europe with their course. Later it became obvious that it is impossible to get a good job in most of Europe with CELTA or equivillent. So I did the CELTA. A collegue of mine did a 4 week course and spent £1000 on it. They promised her it would be the same as a CELTA and just as recognised. It wasn't so she had to spend the same amount of money again on a CELTA.

I would contact the small schools they are less worried about qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sportycb)
    I would what is the worse they can say?
    TEFL providers seem to tell you anything. I did a weekend course where they told me that I could easily get a job in Europe with their course. Later it became obvious that it is impossible to get a good job in most of Europe with CELTA or equivillent. So I did the CELTA. A collegue of mine did a 4 week course and spent £1000 on it. They promised her it would be the same as a CELTA and just as recognised. It wasn't so she had to spend the same amount of money again on a CELTA.

I would contact the small schools they are less worried about qualifications.
    I will have a go. I flat out can't afford CELTA, I can't really afford TEFL, but could just about stretch to a few hundred for TEFL, but it would be hard to spend that money so I'd have to know it was worth it really cos that £400 could help me job hunt for another few weeks!

I've had a bit of a google and seen 3 places in the city I want advertising posts which ask for TEFL not CELTA. I'd hope that once I apply I can focus on my experience which should give me a lot of the knowledge someone with CELTA has gained and proves I'm able to deliver a lesson and engage students. I just don't want to be turned down because I don't tick the right box.

ReputationRep:
    I will have a go. I flat out can't afford CELTA, I can't really afford TEFL, but could just about stretch to a few hundred for TEFL, but it would be hard to spend that money so I'd have to know it was worth it really cos that £400 could help me job hunt for another few weeks!

I've had a bit of a google and seen 3 places in the city I want advertising posts which ask for TEFL not CELTA. I'd hope that once I apply I can focus on my experience which should give me a lot of the knowledge someone with CELTA has gained and proves I'm able to deliver a lesson and engage students. I just don't want to be turned down because I don't tick the right box.
    Be careful when they say 'TEFL' I applied to a job in Greece a few years back when I only had my weekend course and they declined me straight away saying I didn't have the right qualifications. When I asked why as they only asked for a TEFL certificate they replied with quite a shirty email saying that when they say TEFL they mean 'CELTA' or equivillent and treated me as if I was stupid for not knowing that. I refused to reply after that point.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.