Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I honestly have no idea how many "Accomodation blocks" each uni has and how I'm supposed to pick one, how am I supposed to know what each of them entails and what "type" of people they entail?

Please help me out, I'm still in year 12 but see a few threads about this and I'm genuinely concerned.

I'm quite a private person and things like shared bathrooms are a big no, if the areas not London I am more than likely to get just a one bedroom apartment. But I want to apply to a few London ones. I also do not want to end up in accommodation with people who party/drink alot of alcohol - but how am I supposed to know this? I also feel like I'm discriminating by saying that but no I'm not I'm just not into that lifestyle and don't want that going on around me in a place when I should be able to comfortable etc.

I don't mind flatmates getting high from time to time as long as they don't go crazy and constantly stink up the place, so basically chill people not necessarily introverted.

Also what's up with with different "colleges" in Uni, what are the differences between? If any? How are you supposed to know which one apply to for your subject I'm really worried cause I'm so clueless about them. Can someone please explain in simple terms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkaline.)
    I honestly have no idea how many "Accomodation blocks" each uni has and how I'm supposed to pick one, how am I supposed to know what each of them entails and what "type" of people they entail?

Please help me out, I'm still in year 12 but see a few threads about this and I'm genuinely concerned.

I'm quite a private person and things like shared bathrooms are a big no, if the areas not London I am more than likely to get just a one bedroom apartment. But I want to apply to a few London ones. I also do not want to end up in accommodation with people who party/drink alot of alcohol - but how am I supposed to know this? I also feel like I'm discriminating by saying that but no I'm not I'm just not into that lifestyle and don't want that going on around me in a place when I should be able to comfortable etc.

I don't mind flatmates getting high from time to time as long as they don't go crazy and constantly stink up the place, so basically chill people not necessarily introverted.

Also what's up with with different "colleges" in Uni, what are the differences between? If any? How are you supposed to know which one apply to for your subject I'm really worried cause I'm so clueless about them. Can someone please explain in simple terms
    Firstly, do you have a vague idea of where you want to study? If so you can look at their accommodation online now
    There are different types of accommodation at most universities, you can apply for an en suite or shared bathroom and there are also options to be catered (meals made for you at certain times) or self catered

With the not wanting to be with party people, it's impossible to know how your flat mates are going to be like. In certain universities some accommodation has a 'reputation' for being the party one but it does vary.
    Some universities have colleges, not all, so the best thing to do is to look around and ask which ones are closest to your subject building but I don't think there's specific ones for specific subjects.
    (Sorry if I didn't help much, I'm a year 13 student who's just applied for accommodation)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilyPlatypus)
    Firstly, do you have a vague idea of where you want to study? If so you can look at their accommodation online now
    There are different types of accommodation at most universities, you can apply for an en suite or shared bathroom and there are also options to be catered (meals made for you at certain times) or self catered

With the not wanting to be with party people, it's impossible to know how your flat mates are going to be like. In certain universities some accommodation has a 'reputation' for being the party one but it does vary.
    Some universities have colleges, not all, so the best thing to do is to look around and ask which ones are closest to your subject building but I don't think there's specific ones for specific subjects.
    (Sorry if I didn't help much, I'm a year 13 student who's just applied for accommodation)
    You see I'm still not sure entirely which unis I want to do Med though, so it really depends on grades, I'm thinking to apply to imperial or UCL, and bristol but honestly other than that I don't really know. I need to go to more open days but I don't know which Uni's would be best for me like what's the difference between them all there's so many. Some are obvious no's because they're in wales/ scotland but ... http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students...hools-A-Z.aspx

I'd like to know which ones are known party ones and avoid them.

You did help, but where can I look around and ask tbh?

ReputationRep:

A studio apartment in London is possible, but really expensive. Once you've chosen your university then they'll have their own rules of assigning accommodation, whether it be through their own halls or private contractors, or a combination of both. You can usually choose whether you want an en-suite, catering etc.

College means a completely different thing a different universities, in London a different "college" is a completely different university, in Oxford and Cambridge you get different tuition but you're still part of the same university, and in other places like Durham it's little more than a name for an accommodation block.

ReputationRep:
    You see I'm still not sure entirely which unis I want to do Med though, so it really depends on grades, I'm thinking to apply to imperial or UCL, and bristol but honestly other than that I don't really know. I need to go to more open days but I don't know which Uni's would be best for me like what's the difference between them all there's so many. Some are obvious no's because they're in wales/ scotland but ... http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students...hools-A-Z.aspx

I'd like to know which ones are known party ones and avoid them.

You did help, but where can I look around and ask tbh?
    All the places I applied to where outside of London so I don't really have much experience of those ones.
    What I'd say is, there will be open houses or open afternoons for you to go down and see the accommodation. For example, I just looked at the Bristol website and there's open days in June and September so there's plenty of time to see what you want. I know it might be costly in travel, but I'd make a note of all the potential universities you're considering and see when all their open days are and go have a look
    As well as that, I'd try and seek out some threads on here of people applying to those places and asking how they found the accommodation. The only way to find out the reputations of certain accommodation places is to speak to students, as I've applied to Manchester and avoided fallowfield as that one is known as the 'party/noisy' one.
    I've heard people say for medical courses there really isn't much difference in the course and so the choice of uni just depends on where you want to go, but I've applied for psychology so I don't really have a clue about that, sorry

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't panic too much. It's normal to live in halls and share a bathroom and live with people who make different lifestyle choices to you. And it's normal to feel like you don't want to do those things. Financially though it's not an option for many people (as in, assuming your parents aren't prepared to pay for it it probably isn't happening) to live in a studio flat alone. You suck it up for a year and deal with it and the next year you find some likeminded people to live with in a flat/house share somewhere. You can request 'quiet' rooms and so on at uni but to be honest the whole system is meaningless in most places, they tend to allocate randomly anyway and plenty of people change their mind about partying when they start uni. Sharing a bathroom is really not a huge deal, I thought the idea was horrific before I started uni and when I ended up sharing it really wasn't an issue at all. It's also pretty lonely living in a studio.

Don't worry about choosing accommodation. Once you have chosen a university you can get more info on the different rooms they offer and make some choices (although often some people don't get what they want).

Someone else has explained the college thing so I won't get into it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.