The Student Room Group

Changing my name

Hey guys,

I've set my heart on changing my name (first and last name). I have told my grandmother that I'm changing my first name and she's pretty disgruntled about it. She doesn't actually care too much about my first name, I think its more of a control issue for her. As in her own words "changing it will make me more independent". Which I accept as I know thats just the type of person she is.

But I know I need to change my last name too as I think its the best thing for me before I go to uni. I don't see the point in keeping a last name of two parents who chose not to be part of my life.

So, how should I break this news to my grandmother about changing my last name? Bearing in mind she threw a hissy fit when I told her about changing my first name :/

Any advice is appreciated :smile:
Original post by DidiDana
Hey guys,

I've set my heart on changing my name (first and last name). I have told my grandmother that I'm changing my first name and she's pretty disgruntled about it. She doesn't actually care too much about my first name, I think its more of a control issue for her. As in her own words "changing it will make me more independent". Which I accept as I know thats just the type of person she is.

But I know I need to change my last name too as I think its the best thing for me before I go to uni. I don't see the point in keeping a last name of two parents who chose not to be part of my life.

So, how should I break this news to my grandmother about changing my last name? Bearing in mind she threw a hissy fit when I told her about changing my first name :/

I would think explaining that you dont want your parents name anymore would be enough. Either way its your choice not hers so do what makes you happy.
Reply 2
Original post by DidiDana
Hey guys,

Depends what you're changing it to. If you're changing yourt name to Robin Swallows, I'd just not say anything to her. If you're changing it to, say your grandmother's maiden name (which is enough to dissociate you from your parents) I'd just tell her.

Also, bit of fun: look up Big Crazy Lester on teh interwebz. He's a friend of mine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending