Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am just about to finish my first year in computer science. I have found it really hard and tediously boring with regards to programming.
    I don't find programming enjoyable and don't see myself as a programmer. I want to change degree, but I know how employable computer science is. I want a high paid job though like finance or law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackarius)
    I am just about to finish my first year in computer science. I have found it really hard and tediously boring with regards to programming.
    I don't find programming enjoyable and don't see myself as a programmer. I want to change degree, but I know how employable computer science is. I want a high paid job though like finance or law.
    If you change to something like finance or law purely on the basis of money you're probably going to find it boring as well and then drop out. Choose something you really enjoy, regardless of whether it has good employability prospects. Just because a subject has a low employment rate doesn't mean you can't make lots of money, just means it's harder to get.

ReputationRep:
    Having a compsci degree doesn't mean you will be a programmer, it'll open up a lot of doors. If you think you can stick it out for the next 2 years you can get into things like finance easily, not sure about Law though. If not, choose a degree you'll enjoy
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jackarius)
    Finance and law don't require specific degrees, staying put in your current course will not in anyway hinder you for these fields. I'd seriously consider which of law or finance you want to do and not to base your decisions entirely on money. There are a multitude of roles available in finance to choose from - to stand any semblance of a chance, you'll need to look into them and come to a decision on which to pursue. Internship applications open up this autumn for second year students, so you have now until then to learn as much as possible and craft a solid CV.

Likewise, the process for non-law grads requires you to obtain a training contract + study for a further 2 years. It's a huge time commitment that should only be undertaken by those serious about practicing law. Non-law students apply in their final year for vac schemes/training contracts.

If the REAL question here is whether you want to switch degrees, then absolutely yes. You only get one more chance for student finance to fully fund a full 3 years of another degree, they'll discount this past year as a 'trial' year. It's entirely up to you whether you change your degree or not, just make sure you don't leave it until you've started second year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.