Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have my AS level exams looming and my teachers have been encouraging us to complete past papers during the half term but I feel like I need to revise content.
    Should I skip revising the content and jump into past papers? or spend the half term sorting out qualms with content and then do past papers every day when school starts up again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CryingWaffle)
    I have my AS level exams looming and my teachers have been encouraging us to complete past papers during the half term but I feel like I need to revise content.
    Should I skip revising the content and jump into past papers? or spend the half term sorting out qualms with content and then do past papers every day when school starts up again?
    How do you know what you don't know until you do some past papers? Try a few papers, see what material you don't quite understand and go and revise that. Then continue until you are getting pretty much full marks.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's a good point!

ReputationRep:
    This is a dilemma I suffered with during my AS last year, and I've found that you have to do both simultaneously. For example, spend a week completing revision for say, Biology Unit 1 and during that week, do two Maths papers every night. I know this seems like a lot, but that's what A Levels is about. I prepared for my AS exams like that, and I got 4 A's fortunately. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CryingWaffle)
    I suggest doing a topic then finding past paper questions on said topic. This way you can do both at the same time. It tends to stick better aswell, for me anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richpeasant)
    I suggest doing a topic then finding past paper questions on said topic. This way you can do both at the same time. It tends to stick better aswell, for me anyway
    Yeah I find my mistakes stick in my mind better that way too and I avoid making them again haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMadHatteress)
    This is a dilemma I suffered with during my AS last year, and I've found that you have to do both simultaneously. For example, spend a week completing revision for say, Biology Unit 1 and during that week, do two Maths papers every night. I know this seems like a lot, but that's what A Levels is about. I prepared for my AS exams like that, and I got 4 A's fortunately. Hope this helps!
    Well done on getting 4 As! Yeah I feel like at A level how much work you put in correlates with what grade you get and yeah that was definitely helpful. When did you begin revising?

ReputationRep:
    Hello.
    In my point of view, it depends on what kind of person you are.
    I passed my As levels by doing lots of past papers cuz that's what I found helpful. I just needed to get the hand in order to not make the same mistakes again and again.

ReputationRep:
    You could do open book past papers where you can check your textbooks to help you with the question?

Obviously don't do it for every past paper for it could be a good compromise.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help I think I'm going to revise the topics I struggle with and then do past papers and do open book past papers on topics I continue to struggle with

ReputationRep:
    I personally would say it's more important to have a solid understanding of all the content than it is to have done every past paper, but that's just my opinion

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.