The Student Room Group

GCSE Computing - best way of revising?

Scroll to see replies

I've been making revision notes in a question and answer format, using the specification and Hodder textbook (which I don't like either), also adding notes from some of the revision resources my teacher gave us. I have the key words for each section on there too, which I'll probably try to learn later using Quizlet. I've been doing my notes on Google docs, if you want to have a look. My teacher also gave us a collection of past paper questions, in a format where each sheet has six questions and you're supposed to do one sheet each day. I think it also helps to do a past paper and to look really carefully at the mark scheme to work out what they're looking for.

If you need more resources, Teach-ICT has a section on A451. There is also a Hodder revision guide on Amazon, but it is probably similar to the textbook so if you don't like the textbook, there's not much point getting it.

I'm lucky enough to have a good computing teacher, but we started with a teacher that didn't really teach us anything relevant to the course. Our teacher has started offering sweets for answering questions correctly in revision lessons.
Original post by Lelanor
I've been making revision notes in a question and answer format, using the specification and Hodder textbook (which I don't like either), also adding notes from some of the revision resources my teacher gave us. I have the key words for each section on there too, which I'll probably try to learn later using Quizlet. I've been doing my notes on Google docs, if you want to have a look. My teacher also gave us a collection of past paper questions, in a format where each sheet has six questions and you're supposed to do one sheet each day. I think it also helps to do a past paper and to look really carefully at the mark scheme to work out what they're looking for.

If you need more resources, Teach-ICT has a section on A451. There is also a Hodder revision guide on Amazon, but it is probably similar to the textbook so if you don't like the textbook, there's not much point getting it.

I'm lucky enough to have a good computing teacher, but we started with a teacher that didn't really teach us anything relevant to the course. Our teacher has started offering sweets for answering questions correctly in revision lessons.

thank you very much for this. I checked out the tech-ICT site, it looks really useful. i'll definitely use it to help with revision.

also, I checked out your google doc revision resource....and wow dude. Wow.
These notes are like gold - they're perfect, thank you (:
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
thank you very much for this. I checked out the tech-ICT site, it looks really useful. i'll definitely use it to help with revision.

also, I checked out your google doc revision resource....and wow dude. Wow.
These notes are like gold - they're perfect, thank you (:

Hopefully I'll get them finished in the next couple of weeks :smile:
Original post by Lelanor
There is also a Hodder revision guide on Amazon, but it is probably similar to the textbook so if you don't like the textbook, there's not much point getting it.

I have the revision guide and it's a lot better than the blue and white textbook, but there isn't anything in it which you can't find online, and it still contains a lot of things that aren't actually on the spec. So probably no point in getting it unless your school provides it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice , I'll try it out
Reply 25
I have the best computer science teacher, no one can beat my Baber.
:smile:
Original post by Someboady
You dont... you just ace the exam like me... .. JUST LIKE ME. Who knew you could be just like me? Not me! :smile:
Jk
Heres what you do. You read the text book and memorise all the definitions. Then you pray that one day there will be a good computer science/computing teacher in this world. Thats how dad did it. Thats how 'Murica did it. Peace

Thanks tried it out, magically got a new teacher, thanks for the grade 9.
Make sure you lot pray everyday, it worked for me.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest