Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Funding MSc option? Not taken student loan before & Obtained BSc via part time study Watch

ReputationRep:
    I will be obtaining a BSc this year from part time study with Open University without any funding from student finance wales or student loans company.

I have applied to do a MSc in an engineering subject and have offers.

I have never had a student loan from student loans company which is potentially atleast £40,000 in tuition funding, 3 year degree + 1 grace year. So I have no student debt.

Problem

1. I do not qualify for the new postgraduate government loan system - Its only for English and EU residents even though I would be studying in England.

2. There are VERY few grants available for MSc, they are mostly for PhD.

3. I have read applying for government personal development loans is a gamble as its hit or miss with being accepted.

How can I fund this? Is it possible student loans company would fund me since I have not maxed up my loan potential ?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Davidswift9)
    I will be obtaining a BSc this year from part time study with Open University without any funding from student finance wales or student loans company.

I have never had a student loan from student loans company which is potentially atleast £40,000 in tuition funding, 3 year degree + 1 grace year. So I have no student debt.

Problem

1. I do not qualify for the new postgraduate government loan system - Its only for English and EU residents even though I would be studying in England.

3. I have read applying for government personal development loans is a gamble as its hit or miss with being accepted.

How can I fund this? Is it possible student loans company would fund me since I have not maxed up my loan potential ?
    SFW wont fund you as it doesnt matter that you havent used funding from them, its that you have previous study, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    SFW wont fund you as it doesnt matter that you havent used funding from them, its that you have previous study, sorry.
    However If I had enrolled on a 4 year course that had a masters for the fourth year then am I right in assuming that would have been funded? Are there any other options?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Problem

Hefcw are currently reviewing whether they'll introduce loans similar to the English PGL.
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...postgrad-study

However if you move to England now and rent/work for the next few months you may well meet the residency requirements for the English PGL. You just have to prove that the move is not "solely" for education purposes (so have a job that you plan to continue part time or similar commitment).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Hefcw are currently reviewing whether they'll introduce loans similar to the English PGL.
    https://www.timeshighereducation.com...postgrad-study

However if you move to England now and rent/work for the next few months you may well meet the residency requirements for the English PGL. You just have to prove that the move is not "solely" for education purposes (so have a job that you plan to continue part time or similar commitment).
    I doubt that will be this year, it would have been announced already.

I just spoke to Student Finance England, They said you must be living in England for 5years prior to commencing a masters, but the advisor didn't seem confident with the answer they gave but insisted it was in the regulations but I cant see the regulations on the gov website.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that will be this year, it would have been announced already.

I just spoke to Student Finance England, They said you must be living in England for 5years prior to commencing a masters, but the advisor didn't seem confident with the answer they gave but insisted it was in the regulations but I cant see the regulations on the gov website.
    These are the detailed practitioner's notes, which the SF advisors should be following:
    http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/m...summary_v2.pdf

This says:

PGL will be available to UK Nationals (and individuals with settled status in the UK) who have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for three years on the first day of the first academic year of their course. They must have been most recently resident in England, and must not have moved there from elsewhere in the UK and Islands solely for the purpose of attending the course. Temporary absences from the home address, such as for education or travelling, will not prevent an applicant being eligible for PGL.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.