The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Best Accommodation 2016/17 entry

Hello!
This thread is aimed at students at Lancaster with knowledge of undergraduate accommodation. I'm studying a foundation year and have been accepted into Lancaster to enroll into year one with Lancaster as my firm choice.

As I've studied a year at uni, I have a good idea about accommodation (what I want to get out of it) and just had a few quick questions as to which one I should pick.

I understand that answers will vary depending on a student's experience but regardless I'm grateful for any responses.

1) Any accommodation have a double or long bed?

I'm in double bed accommodation right now and sleep diagonally due to height. Having looked on the site I see no double bed accommodation but cannot tell if one bed is longer.

2) Which accommodation has the most people, therefore most social, I like meeting people and like drinking with some of the best nights being flat parties.
3) Best accommodation on campus.
4) Most recently refurbished.
5) Closest to gym
6) Closest to central campus, (I'm studying physics if this helps)
7) Does internet vary? is one tragically bad and good in another? Important as I like my gaming.

Thank you for any replies, please do not factor cost in. I also don't have a preference on en suite or not especially as it seemed to be a 2-1 ratio in the things I've read as a pose to the 5/6-1 ratio in the cheaper accommodation here.

Regards,
Matthew :smile:
Hey!

Wow you have a lot of questions.

Its a bit hard to just suggest an accommodation for you, even with all of your requests. The truth is you may apply to one college, not be accepted, and moved to another. This happened to me. I applied to Grizedale super ensuite and got moved to Cartmel.

The gym is miles away, ill just start with that. Never been there but I know where it is :P. Any accommodation you pick, the gym will be far away.

The internet is pretty good, wired its about 750mb/s and wireless its 30mb/s. I do not think it varies at all but I cannot be 100% sure. I play a lot of video games and its fine for me.

The closest to campus would be most of the colleges, expect Cartmel, Londsdale, Pendle posh, and County.

The best accommodation on campus, which is social, is superior ensuite. The beds are fairly long, although they are a single. I am 6"3 and I can only just fit in them.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
I believe that no beds are double.as yellow said, the gym will be a bit of a distance away (no more than a 10minute walk though). Bowland Tower I believe is the most recently refurbished, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's the best. I have a little bit of bias, but I would say the townhouse is the best option (Available in Grizedale or County). You share your bathroom with just one other person, but it's by far the most social - 12 people to a townhouse. It has a pretty big social area as well (not much accommodation has both kitchen and living room). The fact you're studying physics probably doesn't matter too much, I did Accounting and Finance but only had 1 lecture in the business school..
"Many beds on campus are now longer than the standard size, but if you are particularly tall, please tell us in the additional notes field of the online application form."

- Lancaster Accommodation page :smile:

Quick Reply