Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 166
Size:  76.7 KB

Why is the angle at O equal to the angle a C?

And why would there be a reaction force at O?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by creativebuzz)
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 166
Size:  76.7 KB

Why is the angle at O equal to the angle a C?
    If you were to extend the vertical line at O you could draw a right angle triangle and the angle to the left of B is 90-\theta. The angle the the right of B if you were to draw a horizontal line is 180-(90-\theta+90)=\theta
    The angle to the right of the B vertex is \theta and it's alternate to the angle at C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    The angle to the right of the B vertex is theta
    Why is the angle at the right theta? I tried drawing it out but I can't seem to get it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Bad drawing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Bad drawing

Ohh I see, thank you!! Is that a theorem that I've just completely forgotten or?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Ohh I see, thank you!! Is that a theorem that I've just completely forgotten or?
    I used the GCSE? geometry principles that the sum of the internal angles in a (right angled) triangle is 180^{\circ} and similarly, that angles on a straight line add up to 180^{\circ}. And lastly, the idea that alternate angles two angles, formed when a line crosses two other lines, that lie on opposite sides of the transversal line and on opposite relative sides of the other lines are equal when when the lines crossed are parallel.

Internal angles of triangle

Angles on a straight line

Alternate angles

As for your 2nd question about reactive force, I'm not sure. I haven't yet covered M2 moments and even my M1 moments were weak.

I've tagged a couple members in who may be able to help .

ReputationRep:
    Because it's hinged at O so there'd be a reaction force from the hinge.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Something's got to support the whole structure; without it the whole construction would fall down, i.e. no equilibrium.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Something's got to support the whole structure; without it the whole construction would fall down, i.e. no equilibrium.
    I see!

In this question I did sin45 instead of cos45 (I put a purple line in so you can see why I put sin45 instead of cos45) but the mark scheme says it should be cos45, why is that?

Name:  m2.png
Views: 92
Size:  95.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    I see!

In this question I did sin45 instead of cos45 (I put a purple line in so you can see why I put sin45 instead of cos45) but the mark scheme says it should be cos45, why is that?
    Does it matter? \sin 45^{\circ} = \cos 45^{\circ} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I see!

Views: 92
Size:  95.6 KB
    As Zacken said - it doesn't matter.

However, since they've marked an angle as 45, I would assume they're using that same angle in their calculation. Sin45 would have been the better choice.

If the angle had been 30 degrees, say, then cos30 would be incorrect.

ReputationRep:

However, since they've marked an angle as 45, I would assume they're using that same angle in their calculation. Sin45 would have been the better choice.

Oh yeah I knew that it didn't matter!

I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get the answer right because of a fluke/my method was legit

ReputationRep:

Also, why did they give the lamina's mass as 12 (+15 of course) because isn't the mass of a lamina usually found by doing the area (so 5x8 and then add the particles' masses) in centre of mass questions? This is literally the only thing I don't understand about CoM.
Views: 84
Size:  36.2 KB
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Also, why did they give the lamina's mass as 12 (+15 of course) because isn't the mass of a lamina usually found by doing the area (so 5x8 and then add the particles' masses) in centre of mass questions? This is literally the only thing I don't understand about CoM.
Views: 84
Size:  36.2 KB
    The area by itself is insufficient. Assuming there is some thickness to the lamina, you'd need to know the mass per unit area, to then work out the mass of the lamina. 5x8 is not a mass.

ReputationRep:
    The area by itself is insufficient. Assuming there is some thickness to the lamina, you'd need to know the mass per unit area, to then work out the mass of the lamina. 5x8 is not a mass.
    Ah thickness of course, that makes sense! But how would I know when finding the area is sufficient because in quite a lot of CoM questions (particularly composite shapes) tend to involve finding the area!
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Ah thickness of course, that makes sense! But how would I know when finding the area is sufficient because in quite a lot of CoM questions (particularly composite shapes) tend to involve finding the area!
    If you're given any masses, then you need to work in terms of mass.

If no masses are given, then it's areas; assuming density is constant.

ReputationRep:
    If you're given any masses, then you need to work in terms of mass.

If no masses are given, then it's areas; assuming density is constant.
    Gotcha.

I managed to get full marks on part a, but in part b what do they mean by "give the direction"?
    Also, is there some reason/theory behind how we can find what direction the X and Y reaction forces are working in without plugging in your values and just seeing if your answer is negative or not?

Views: 83
Size:  47.9 KB
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I managed to get full marks on part a, but in part b what do they mean by "give the direction"?

Force is a vector quantity, it has a magnitude and direction.

E.g. a force represented by i+j has magntude of root(2), and a direction 45 degrees to i vector going anticlcockwise.

Also, is there some reason/theory behind how we can find what direction the X and Y reaction forces are working in without plugging in your values and just seeing if your answer is negative or not?
    Logic and common sense. Can't really give a detailed description, but take your example.

If the rod wasn't attached at A, would it move to the right or left? Force at A must be in the opposite direction to hold it in equilibrium.

Then consider D. If the rod wasn't attached at A, would it rotate clockwise or anticlockwise about D? Vertical force at A must act to stop that, hence....

ReputationRep:
    [/b]

Force is a vector quantity, it has a magnitude and direction.

E.g. a force represented by i+j has magntude of root(2), and a direction 45 degrees to i vector going anticlcockwise.

[b]

Logic and common sense. Can't really give a detailed description, but take your example.

If the rod wasn't attached at A, would it move to the right or left? Force at A must be in the opposite direction to hold it in equilibrium.

Then consider D. If the rod wasn't attached at A, would it rotate clockwise or anticlockwise about D? Vertical force at A must act to stop that, hence....
    If the rod wasn't fixed at A it would fall clockwise, yes?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    If the rod wasn't fixed at A it would fall clockwise, yes?
    Yes.

These things will be clearer when you've covered moments.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.