Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Yes.

These things will be clearer when you've covered moments.
    I have covered moments

In all honesty, I manage to get the answers right in the end but I consider it a fluke because I don't really understand the theory/reasoning behind it. Like with this question I managed to get the answer right because if when the answer came out negative I knew to flip the direction of the force. I just wanted to understand why the direction of the reaction force acts leftward and up.

Also about the angle question, which angle is that finding exactly?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by creativebuzz)
    I have covered moments

In all honesty, I manage to get the answers right in the end but I consider it a fluke because I don't really understand the theory/reasoning behind it. Like with this question I managed to get the answer right because if when the answer came out negative I knew to flip the direction of the force. I just wanted to understand why the direction of the reaction force acts leftward and up.
    Thought it was left and down.

Also about the angle question, which angle is that finding exactly?
    You just need a reference line. The obvious one to go for is the vertical downards from A. So the angle it makes with that.

You should specify clearly in your answer which angle you're refering to, e.g. 55 degrees clockwise from the downwards vertical.

You could also use the horizontal as a reference line....

ReputationRep:

You just need a reference line. The obvious one to go for is the vertical downards from A. So the angle it makes with that.

You should specify clearly in your answer which angle you're refering to, e.g. 55 degrees clockwise from the downwards vertical.

You could also use the horizontal as a reference line....
    But isn't the angle made from A and the downward vertical just 90 degrees because there's that right angled triangle by A
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    But isn't the angle made from A and the downward vertical just 90 degrees because there's that right angled triangle by A
    That triangle is just the position of the rod. You need to find the angle the resultant force (combining horizontal and vertical components of the reaction) makes, with the vertical for example.

ReputationRep:
    I understand why it's down (because the strut is pushing it upwards so the rod must be pushing downwards to keep it straight) but why is the reaction going leftward?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    I understand why it's down (because the strut is pushing it upwards so the rod must be pushing downwards to keep it straight)
    That's not the reason. If the strut was attached to the rod at a postion beyond the CofG of the rod, the reaction at the wall would have been upwards, not down.

but why is the reaction going leftward?
    In both cases I think about what would happen if the hinge wasn't constraining it. Which direction would the strut move in? Then the reaction at the hinge must be in the opposite direction.

ReputationRep:
    That's not the reason. If the strut was attached to the rod at a postion beyond the CofG of the rod, the reaction at the wall would have been upwards, not down.

In both cases I think about what would happen if the hinge wasn't constraining it. Which direction would the strut move in? Then the reaction at the hinge must be in the opposite direction.

Do you mean CofD?

If the hinge wasn't constraining it the rod would just topple in a clockwise movement

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 30
Size:  50.4 KB

Before you reply to this, would you mind spotting where I went wrong in this work done question: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4009241
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Do you mean CofD?
    What does CofD stand for?

If the hinge wasn't constraining it the rod would just topple in a clockwise movement

Size:  50.4 KB
    I.e. the left end would go right and up, hence the reaction is down and left.

Before you reply to this, would you mind spotting where I went wrong in this work done question: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=4009241
    I looked at it, but found your photos virtually unreadable.

ReputationRep:
    What does CofD stand for?

I.e. the left end would go right and up, hence the reaction is down and left.

I looked at it, but found your photos virtually unreadable.

No worries about the other question! It's been fixed!

But back to the moments question, are you saying that the rod would fall into the strut? (I'm just trying to visualise it properly)

Size:  51.0 KB
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    No worries about the other question! It's been fixed!

But back to the moments question, are you saying that the rod would fall into the strut? (I'm just trying to visualise it properly)

Size:  51.0 KB
    Huh! You had it correctly before. Where's this coming from?

ReputationRep:
    Huh! You had it correctly before. Where's this coming from?
    Ohh I see! I get that it goes up! But how is that showing

Views: 29
Size:  50.2 KB

that it is moving rightward?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Ohh I see! I get that it goes up! But how is that showing

Views: 29
Size:  50.2 KB

that it is moving rightward?
    You can either think of a clockwise motion means it's pulling away from the wall, hence rightwards.

Or also think about as it falls, it's rotating about C too, and hence moving away from the wall.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.