Turn on thread page Beta

Aunt thinks my mum favours me over her? watch

My aunt, mum's sister, is like 32 I think? She's still not married and lives with my grandma. Today she got in a fight with my mum because my mum got me a Samsung Galaxy S6, and I had a brick all my life anyway, and my mum got it for me for my 18th birthday.

My mum was on the phone with my aunt in my room, I was working and we were just chilling but she had it on loud speaker. Long story short my aunt gets upset and starts an argument with my mum over why she got me a new phone but she only got my aunt an iphone 5 and that my mum favours me over her and that I'm a child and should not have a phone, and she wants the phone.

My mum told her that I work part time and pay the bills for my phone and it doesn't matter if I have the latest phone or the nicest car and it's none of my aunt's business which offended her and she got all defensive. She said she wanted to have luxury items and show off as well, so I told her "why don't you get married and then your husband can get you luxurious gifts for you to show off" and she said she would've strangled me if she was there, and then started mouthing off on me. My mum hung up on her and didn't say much more, just went downstairs.

Do you think that was wrong or disrespectful of me to say that?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I have to say that she is your aunt and saying she should marry was wrong, but maybe in this situation you were right. She is not your sister or brother, but she is your aunt. Why the hell would a mother give her sister, who is an adult, give a new phone instead of her own child? Your aunt is envious and stupid, and you three should talk it out before it gets worse.

Your aunt is 32 and jealous of an 18 year old getting presents from their mum on their birthday...........

ReputationRep:
    Your aunt sounds childish,

Why would your mum treat her sister the same way she treats you? I don't expect my sisters to treat me the same way they treat their children which is a good thing.

(Original post by Metalfros)
    I have to say that she is your aunt and saying she should marry was wrong, but maybe in this situation you were right. She is not your sister or brother, but she is your aunt. Why the hell would a mother give her sister, who is an adult, give a new phone instead of her own child? Your aunt is envious and stupid, and you three should talk it out before it gets worse.
    I know but she was really pissing me off, like why can't I have something nice without someone else complaining about it?

(Original post by Maker)
    Your aunt sounds childish,

Why would your mum treat her sister the same way she treats you? I don't expect my sisters to treat me the same way they treat their children which is a good thing.
    She feels that sisters are more important than daughters, and that my mother should think of her before she thinks of me.

ReputationRep:
    wtaf

ReputationRep:
    Your aunty sounds needy af.

ReputationRep:
    Your aunt's got issues.

Don't give her any thought. She's in the wrong. Perhaps you shouldn't have made the marriage comment, at 32 I'm sure that could easily be an insecurity of hers, perhaps just tell her to get a grip or grow up. Though with her attitude, there's no chance of her getting married any time soon.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My aunt, mum's sister, is like 32 I think? She's still not married and lives with my grandma. Today she got in a fight with my mum because my mum got me a Samsung Galaxy S6, and I had a brick all my life anyway, and my mum got it for me for my 18th birthday.

My mum was on the phone with my aunt in my room, I was working and we were just chilling but she had it on loud speaker. Long story short my aunt gets upset and starts an argument with my mum over why she got me a new phone but she only got my aunt an iphone 5 and that my mum favours me over her and that I'm a child and should not have a phone, and she wants the phone.

My mum told her that I work part time and pay the bills for my phone and it doesn't matter if I have the latest phone or the nicest car and it's none of my aunt's business which offended her and she got all defensive. She said she wanted to have luxury items and show off as well, so I told her "why don't you get married and then your husband can get you luxurious gifts for you to show off" and she said she would've strangled me if she was there, and then started mouthing off on me. My mum hung up on her and didn't say much more, just went downstairs.

Do you think that was wrong or disrespectful of me to say that?
    I don't see why your aunt should expect to get such expensive presents from your mum (sounds like there are some things going on behind the scenes) but two wrongs don't make a right, it was very rude and disrespectful of you to say that to your aunt and you should probably apologise.

ReputationRep:
    I could be a "Chinatown" situation.

ReputationRep:
    Is your aunt of sound mind? Seriously, that's not normal behaviour for an adult.

Your mom is pretty badass actually... :yy: You're pretty lucky

Siblings quarrel all the time, heck my mum and aunt are always bickering but make it up in a few days max. Just enjoy your new phone OP!

ReputationRep:
    My aunt thinks that, and she is right.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    So to get this straight you are her child and she wonders why she spends more on you than her? She does realise the difference betwen an aunt and your own child?
    Bonkers.

ReputationRep:
    With all sensitivity and respect - does she have some form of autism?

(Original post by Sampaa)
    Your aunt's got issues.

Don't give her any thought. She's in the wrong. Perhaps you shouldn't have made the marriage comment, at 32 I'm sure that could easily be an insecurity of hers, perhaps just tell her to get a grip or grow up. Though with her attitude, there's no chance of her getting married any time soon.
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I don't see why your aunt should expect to get such expensive presents from your mum (sounds like there are some things going on behind the scenes) but two wrongs don't make a right, it was very rude and disrespectful of you to say that to your aunt and you should probably apologise.
    Yes I guess my comment wasn't the best way to deal with that so I will apologise when she's calmed down.

(Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Your mom is pretty badass actually... :yy: You're pretty lucky

Siblings quarrel all the time, heck my mum and aunt are always bickering but make it up in a few days max. Just enjoy your new phone OP!
    Thank you!

(Original post by Sampaa)
    With all sensitivity and respect - does she have some form of autism?
    No she doesnt as far as I know
    (Original post by XxSophie01xX)
    Is your aunt of sound mind? Seriously, that's not normal behaviour for an adult.
    Well, I don't think so.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.