Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I have recently applied for a scholarship for three schools, and I have shown them that I am a very capable student. However, all three said that it was too late for me to apply for a scholarship. I look forward to doing 5 Highers in S5 (Scotland) and going to a private school would really help me to get to my intended University, which is Oxford. Is there anything I can do?

ReputationRep:
    Get a sat nav.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    Get a sat nav.
    Lol, I liked your joke, but I mean, seriously, is there some kind of establishment that could help me get to a private school?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Going into Oxford shouldn't be determined whether or not you went to private school because think about those who went to state schools and apply to Oxford, are their chances non existent? If it's too late to apply then it is.

ReputationRep:
    There is some evidence that going to an independent school is an advantage - ie that there are more independent school pupils who end up at Oxford than there are in the general student population - but there are other explanations and observations people put forward. Firstly, there are still lots of state school educated students at Oxford. Secondly, there is some evidence (I read) that state school pupils apply for the more popular (and so competitive) courses, while independent school pupils are more prepared to apply for less popular subjects. You can find the stats online I think. Any idea what subject you'd like to study at Uni?

(Original post by mghanduri)
    Lol, I liked your joke, but I mean, seriously, is there some kind of establishment that could help me get to a private school?
    Get a job and save up, you beatnik. Nobody's going to hand over the fees for you.

1) Go to the crappiest school you can find
    2) Get the highest grades possible
    3) Oxford entry success*

*all dependent on how you do in admissions tests and interviews too of course

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I have recently applied for a scholarship for three schools, and I have shown them that I am a very capable student. However, all three said that it was too late for me to apply for a scholarship. I look forward to doing 5 Highers in S5 (Scotland) and going to a private school would really help me to get to my intended University, which is Oxford. Is there anything I can do?
    What private schools if you don't mind me asking? Which city at least? Can give you my personal experience with the Scottish school system that might help.

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,
    I wouldn't worry about going to a private school. Some universities are now actively selecting people from state schools to boost their stats as its something they can now be ranked on (that might sound bad but I don't intend it that way, I couldn't think of a better way to word it).
    Also oxford are notorious for having really bizarre interview questions (like asking a medicine applicant to explain how a watch worked) and tend to select people based on interview performance (and select who they interview based on grades or other admissions tests eg BMAT).
    I do have quite a few friends at oxford I have been told that there are more and more people every year from state schools and fewer from public schools.
    What I'm saying is stop worrying and concentrate on getting good grades, whatever school you are at, and you stand an excellent chance at getting an interview which is the first step, then prepare for that and get an offer

ReputationRep:
    If you've missed the date you've missed the date, there isn't anything else to it. You're still perfectly able to get into Oxford without being privately educated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.