Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Travelling alone, where to start?! watch

ReputationRep:
    Go where ever you want to go. Assuming you have the money then nothing can stop you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg Whittaker)
    Ribenarockstar, that's exactly why I'd like to travel alone! I would stay in hostels and like you said, meet other travellers. Have you travelled alone before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    A little bit. I lived in Germany last year for studying abroad and did a crazy overnight bus both ways one day trip to Berlin, which meant I didn't have to deal with the hostel/ safe place overnight thing. I've done lots of roaming by myself in cities all over the world, though!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds good. Would you not like to go travelling in Australia or somewhere like that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah I would love to travel the world alone and probably will sometime. Heard its really freeing as you dont have to worry about catering to anyone else. I read somewhere bring a book when you eat out so you are occupied when waiting for food.

But have fun travelling!

ReputationRep:
    That's a very good tip. Thank for that haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Hello

Dont know if you use it but the forums on thorntree are for travellers and you used to be able to get good adbice from people who had or were travelling at the time.
    Make sure you have proper insurance and you have a fallback plan in case anything happens.

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree

ps not sure if its any good anymore long time since I posted there.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much for that information 999tigger

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meg Whittaker)
    Hi, my name is Meg.

I'm 18 years old doing an apprenticeship in dog grooming. In a couple of years I am wanting to go and travel. The places I'd like to visit are Thailand, South Africa, Australia and the Caribbean. I would obviously like to see a lot more places but they are my dream places to visit.

The problem is, I do not have a clue where to start. I will be going alone so I am quite nervous but it is something I've always wanted to do.

Where do I even start? Has anyone got any advice that could help me out and just give me an idea on where to start?

Hi.

All of those places are fine if you know what you are doing. Research thoroughly.

Book flights, book accommodation, pick up tours (advisable for South Africa and Thailand). Timing is everything I guess.

http://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-bl...anning-a-trip/

ReputationRep:
    Try a site called Topdeck it's for 18-30 years old travelling, you make a lot of new friends and there tend to be a lot who go on their own. I went on their Egypt trip but they do trips to Australia, Thailand and South Africa. Cheaper than most other companies so I recommend it.

ReputationRep:
    if you really wanted to go places like thailand and south africa, i would recommend doing a tour for young people (someone just mentioned top deck who are great, contiki also) then you'll be safe and everything is organised and most of the people on those tours are solo travellers too so it's super easy to meet people! If you didn't want to do a tour though I'd definitely start with organising a trip to Australia, one of the most popular places for solo backpackers and super safe and chilled over there. If you've got the extra money saved you could even get a flight to fiji for a few days whilst you're over there!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.