The Student Room Group

Circumstances have changed. Can I apply for additional funding?

Just wanting to know if anyone has been in this situation.

I have to move out of my parents house & have already applied for an received my first student finance payment.

Can I contact them and alter my application? To allow me to get extra funding for somewhere to live does anyone know?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by GJM1990

I have to move out of my parents house & have already applied for an received my first student finance payment.

Can I contact them and alter my application? To allow me to get extra funding for somewhere to live does anyone know?

Thanks

Under the age of 25, I'm afraid your SF entitlement is based on your parents' earnings. SF takes no account of your living costs.

If you have had to leave home because you are estranged from your parents i.e. you have absolutely no contact with them and you get no support from them, then you can ask SF to assess you as independent, regardless of your age. However you will need third party proof, such as a letter from a professional who is familiar with your circumstances and family breakdown.
Original post by GJM1990

Thanks

You can get a small amount more as you are now living away from home, but you can't be assessed as independent unless other criteria apply
Original post by Klix88
Under the age of 25, I'm afraid your SF entitlement is based on your parents' earnings. SF takes no account of your living costs.

If you have had to leave home because you are estranged from your parents i.e. you have absolutely no contact with them and you get no support from them, then you can ask SF to assess you as independent, regardless of your age. However you will need third party proof, such as a letter from a professional who is familiar with your circumstances and family breakdown.

OP can claim a small amount extra for living outside parental home
It would only be the loan that increases if you live away from home.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending