Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    He didn't do traditional A levels such as science and maths because he originally wanted to do computer forensics and therefore his sixth form (wrongly) in my opinion persuaded him to do TWO BTEC courses. Where he came out with 4 Distinctions so equivalent to 4 A's. He is very good at maths and science and came out with the best grades he could at GCSE.

He has applied for university for building engineering/civil engineering/engineering foundation years and received offers from.

Huddersfield University: Foundation Engineering
    Leeds Beckett University: Building services engineering BEng (Hons)
    Leeds University: Foundation in Science (with a view to going onto civil engineering if he passes the year with 70%)

He wants to do the placement year with each of these. Making the foundation courses 5 years until completion, and the Leeds Beckett one 4 years until completion.

My question is, is he better going for the Leeds University one as it is one of the best engineering institutions?

Or

Doing the Leeds Beckett one and then end up doing a masters at Leeds University for civil engineering.

(I think at this point huddersfield is out of the running as they only really concentrate on electrical and automotive engineering and he has his heart set on building/civil)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by katiemariefryer)
    He didn't do traditional A levels such as science and maths because he originally wanted to do computer forensics and therefore his sixth form (wrongly) in my opinion persuaded him to do TWO BTEC courses. Where he came out with 4 Distinctions so equivalent to 4 A's. He is very good at maths and science and came out with the best grades he could at GCSE.

He has applied for university for building engineering/civil engineering/engineering foundation years and received offers from.

Leeds University: Foundation in Science (with a view to going onto civil engineering if he passes the year with 70%)

He wants to do the placement year with each of these. Making the foundation courses 5 years until completion, and the Leeds Beckett one 4 years until completion.

My question is, is he better going for the Leeds University one as it is one of the best engineering institutions?

Or

Doing the Leeds Beckett one and then end up doing a masters at Leeds University for civil engineering.

(I think at this point huddersfield is out of the running as they only really concentrate on electrical and automotive engineering and he has his heart set on building/civil)
    It'd make sense to go straight for Leeds. An outside Masters (i.e. non-integrated one) would not be covered by student finance and he'd need to source the funding for living costs from elsewhere too. So, I'd say stick with Leeds throughout.

ReputationRep:

Or

why would he do a foundation year with those good grades? Is it because his chosen course is unrelated to what he did?

ReputationRep:
    I thought that too, but from September this year student finance are funding masters, obviously we can't take it for granted that they still will be in 3 years but I was shocked to find out that they have started funding them as opposed to before where you needed a bank loan. Meaning a masters year would only cost 4k as opposed to his foundation year costing 9k. It's such a big choice for him so trying to help him as much as possible. He'd never come on a forum to ask :P.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fosu®)
    why would he do a foundation year with those good grades? Is it because his chosen course is unrelated to what he did?
    Yeah his courses primarily need at least physics or maths at A level, he doesn't have either.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah his courses primarily need at least physics or maths at A level, he doesn't have either.
    Oh ok. If he is really good at maths then I suggest he does the a level in one year instead of doing a foundation year which will cost 9k?

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Leeds - better reputation. An extra year at this point in life is nothing, honest.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Then the foundation year would help get him up to speed with these subjects; more so than just diving in at Leeds Beckett.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fosu®)
    Oh ok. If he is really good at maths then I suggest he does the a level in one year instead of doing a foundation year which will cost 9k?
    Good point - if you have to pay for the foundation year yourself, it would be cheaper, and perhaps provide more choice - to use the year to get the right A levels. Speak to some admissions tutors to check which Unis to apply to next time round.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Fosu®)
    This is also a good shout, he could also save up money by working part time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The problem with doing an Alevel (which he's considered) and this is totally stupid is that he wouldn't be funded, as he is under 25 but has already done level 3 course and therefore the A level wouldn't be funded and we simply can't afford around 500 pound for him to do it as we are already paying for my access course in nursing, however a foundation year at university is funded. We have one child and one on the way so scrimping and saving isn't really an option, we can afford to him to go to university because of the level of student finance he will be getting and he is going to work part-time for at least the first year. The system simply doesn't support those wanting to re-train .

ReputationRep:
    I think from the answers i'm receiving, he's deffo better holding out for Leeds even if it is an extra year. It's such a good engineering school!

ReputationRep:
    I think from the answers i'm receiving, he's deffo better holding out for Leeds even if it is an extra year. It's such a good engineering school!
    Yea, Leeds is better than his other options

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.