Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm from London and I'm really considering studying Geography and Politics at Edinburgh. I recently received an offer of AAA, quite high considering I got ABB at AS, although I was 2 UMS marks off AAB.

Anyway, one of things holding me back is the distance from home. I was just wondering how someone else found moving to Edinburgh University who lived far away e.g. being far from family, moving belongings, different way of life?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I watch a blogger on youtube called sunbeamsjess who is from London (Hammersmith area) and is doing English Lit at Edinburgh (3rd year). She has done quite a few videos on her uni experience etc, so it might be helpful to watch those and get her opinion! I know in her blogs at christmas she often drives home with her car full of things, but other times she gets the train. Edinburgh has amazing train links to London, some even direct! Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I'm from North-West London and in my second year at Edinburgh.

Door-to-door the journey is about 5 hours by train, and costs about £80 return (with a 16-25 railcard). I haven't tried popping back for the weekend, mostly due to cost, but it's probably doable. You're probably not going to see your friends and family back home too often but for me that's not really a problem.

If you don't fancy driving up with all your belongings you can send it up with a service like sendmybag, which is what I do. Or just buy all your furnishings when you get here: there's an Ikea just outside of Edinburgh which is easy to get to by bus.

Hope that helps!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.