Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey people,

I've been having this debate in my head for months and evertime i decide on an answer i go back on it, let me explain the situation then your input would be much appreciated.

So, to begin with i always wanted to do a business/finance/economics related degree from a very young age due to being brought up around a business minded enviroment.

I always did my wheelign and dealings from a very young age lol, like we all have really, and i can say i very much enjoyed it and i still do my little hustles now nothing illegal guys just a short term thing if you get what i mean. I do have a start up business just coming up to its first year aswell .

Now im 22, but abiut 4 years ago i suffered multiple subdural haematomas (bleeds in the brain - boxings a dangerous game lol). In that year i got injured, consequently, i dropped out of first year a levels. Recovery was a right bi**h, and i had to move 200 miles away from home to help my recover. As time went on, i managed to get into college the next year in my new hometown. It was at this stage i kind of thought i want to do medicine. i saw a lot of things that opened up a new world for me and made me relaise its not just seen on holby city.

Som i chose maths, chem and bio for my a levels at my new college. I thought even if i decide no to medicine, i still have strong subjects to go into the other courses. First fw months of college were good, i was still recovering in a away, like dealing with depressiom, i couldnt concentrate longer then one hour, i would fall asleep after that s the tiredness was just uncontrable due to concentraion levels. Trust me i would down cans of redbull before lessons and hold my eyes open but i would still fall asleep. Obviosuly my college was aware of my issues and hence they let me sleep but as you can imagine it wasnt helping my grades. But i did what i could and my attendance was a joke at 57% because of issues and the constant headaches.

Coming end of year i wasnt confident of my performance, i knew if i wasnt having the issues i couldve achieved good enough grades. But yeah, i got like CCD, overall it wenrt bad. Like i got B's in C1 and C2 but M1 i got a D because i couldnt undertstand it on my own and lessons were hard for me to work through, so i was happy in that respect. For chem 1 i got a B but chem 2 i got a D, howeverm for practical i got A. Bio 1 and 2, i got B's but the practical exam let me down with a U.

I took it on the chin and enrolled for next year and just revised for all my resits over summer holidays so i wouldnt have to worry about them during term time which i dould work on A2 stuff. However, first week september, i had an issue due to my bleeds and as a result, i was pretty much paralysed, for 2-3 months. By this timen college were just covering there backs and wernt willing to help me get into medicine and said you should wait. That was hard to take, firstly i didnt want to go back to studying but i didnt want to give up and regret it later in life and then i just felt they were blaming me for something i couldnt control. I left college but i managed to find a school that would take me in a few weeks later and let me sit my exams. i was excited and thought screw it just work my ass off, i can do it. I actully loved going to school in this place and that made learning all the stuff i missed easier in the sense it helped me beat depression in a way. Teachers were happy with my progress and so was i, i had done my first few modules and got great results, and i just had the home stretch to do which was my end of year exams. I was happy, i was dealing with my recovery well and school was brilliant at giving me the support i needed. At this stage i found dad had cancer, it hurt alot but i didnt let it get me down because he told me its being dealt with, but that just gave me that extra fire in the belly ot say right, im going to be a doctor, i wanted it so badly.

It was just my luck, a few months before my exams, my shrink produced a report and in it, it said something like in certain aspects of brain functionality i have declined, although i didnt feel it, she said i had, but i didnt really care. It was hard to taek but i said screw it, i feel good and thats all that matters. However, i had massive anger issues though, and she picked up on this in her report and said you cant be a doctor if you have a volatile personality like that. There were more things she added to the report but i didnt reallt care after she said maybe you cant be a doctor and that basically im getting worse and i might have to deal with the way i am and its not going to get better. After that, i just went downhill, i kept having breakdowns week in, week out. Lashing out at family and friends, trying to hurt my self. I couldnt deal with what she had said. As you guessed exams suffered by now, i could see my dream of being a doctor fading away. I pushed so hard to make my brain revise but i would stare at my books till early morning just thinking why am i doing it if it is for nothing. Noving miles from home, away from my dad and family and friends, what was it all for? Exams came and i just ended up breaking down in the exams halls and throwing tables around in anger.

I got UUU in the end and with that i just buried my goal of going to uni or even studying, the word education would just make me so angry.

But now im here, I decided i want to go to uni, i am much better, and i am dealing with any other issues i have. although certain aspects of my personality etc are not going to go back to the old me, ive accepted it and im trying to work with i have

I was going to apply to economics for 2016 entry, only because i didnt want top wait another year for medicine but also because i thought if i wait a year and IF i get into med ill be 28 leaving uni. Should i really care about that? When i think of going into economics, i know ill enjoy it, but thhen everytime i think about it, it just hits me that i knwo ill regret it. Even know when i go visit my doctor i think i wish i was you lol. I want to be a neurosurgeon - yeah i know, its out there. But a guy can dream :P.

What do you guys think, should i listen to mother nature and give up on medicne and try another degree. Should i apply for 2017 medicne entry. For med, i kno unis are strict, so will they even bother to look at me and my exams. Its all a mess college to college etc.

Your input will be helpful people

ReputationRep:
    I scrolled over it and saw UUU.

So I'm going to say no.

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. What qualifications are you thinking of applying with?

ReputationRep:
    You'd probably need to resit your exams again to get 3As as that's what most medical schools need.

Also you should try and get loads of work experience if you think that's what you want to do. And it's also important to get a good UKCAT score. If you have good GCSEs that will help.

You may be slightly older than most people starting on a medicine degree but if you think that's what you want to do then go for it. Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    I'm confused. What qualifications are you thinking of applying with?
    (Original post by Blobfish13)
    You'd probably need to resit your exams again to get 3As as that's what most medical schools need.

Also you should try and get loads of work experience if you think that's what you want to do. And it's also important to get a good UKCAT score. If you have good GCSEs that will help.

You may be slightly older than most people starting on a medicine degree but if you think that's what you want to do then go for it. Good luck!!
    Sorry forgot to add this, i am taking Maths, Bio, and Chem for A levels. I have good GCSE's 4 A*, 10 A, 3 B, 1 C, 1 D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legend786)
    Sorry forgot to add this, i am taking Maths, Bio, and Chem for A levels. I have good GCSE's 4 A*, 10 A, 3 B, 1 C, 1 D.
    I'm doing the same A levels 😊 If you get 3As then I think you have a pretty good chance as long as you choose your universities wisely. Just make sure that it's what you definitely want to do and that it's right for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legend786)
    Fair enough. If you get AAA+ you'll be fine. But high UKCAT and volunteering experience are very important too. And make sure your A-level predictions are also AAA+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BristolFresher15)
    Fair enough. If you get AAA+ you'll be fine. But high UKCAT and volunteering experience are very important too. And make sure your A-level predictions are also AAA+
    Im studying from home, so how would i go about getting predictions

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.