4 mark question
mandms300
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by DANIELREED)
4 mark question
Bile is produced in the liver and stored in the gall bladder. Bile emulsifies fats by breaking down large droplets of fat to smaller droplets. This increases the surface area of the fats for the enzyme lipase to work on and digest.

Unit 2 Biology revision payed off haha
Bapujisamji
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Mandms300 gave a sound answer but only talked about the emulsification of fats and omitted the effect of bile on the enzymes in the small intestine.

In order for food to be broken down in the stomach, an acidic atmosphere is required so that pepsin (also known as protease) can optimally work so HCL is manifest, which is PH2 (very acidic). The food then travels to the small intestine where amylase and lipase are also present to complete digestion. However, these enzymes require a weak alkaline atmosphere so bile is added. Bile is alkaline so neutralises the acidity and forms a weak alkaline atmosphere for the enzymes to thrive and increases the rate of the reaction.
mandms300
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Bapujisamji)
Mandms300 gave a sound answer but only talked about the emulsification of fats and omitted the effect of bile on the enzymes in the small intestine.

In order for food to be broken down in the stomach, an acidic atmosphere is required so that pepsin (also known as protease) can optimally work so HCL is manifest, which is PH2 (very acidic). The food then travels to the small intestine where amylase and lipase are also present to complete digestion. However, these enzymes require a weak alkaline atmosphere so bile is added. Bile is alkaline so neutralises the acidity and forms a weak alkaline atmosphere for the enzymes to thrive and increases the rate of the reaction.
Learn something new everyday haha
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Humanities; Department of Drama, Theatre and Performance; Department of Social Sciences; Department of English and Creative Writing Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Keele University
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19
  • Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (72)
7.75%
I used to but I don't now (26)
2.8%