Turn on thread page Beta

Parents and their children watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering are there still such tendencies that you have to follow the career path which your parents have prepared for you regardless what you are really passionate about?

ReputationRep:
    Nope my parents let me go on the path I wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shimmeringsofya)
    I was wondering are there still such tendencies that you have to follow the career path which your parents have prepared for you regardless what you are really passionate about?
    I hope not, otherwise my life is going to be full of crappy jobs. Though saying that, my mother did manage a pre-school for a few years which was really cool, except for the fact that I don't particularly enjoy small noisy children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannyboy2015)
    I hope not, otherwise my life is going to be full of crappy jobs. Though saying that, my mother did manage a pre-school for a few years which was really cool, except for the fact that I don't particularly enjoy small noisy children.
    Hahah.. I was trying to emphasize the point that if your parents want to see you as a lawer , you got to become a lawer

ReputationRep:
    I have, but in all honestly if I knew what I wanted to do in life I wouldn't at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not So Average)
    I have, but in all honestly if I knew what I wanted to do in life I wouldn't at all.
    Excuse me, I didn't get your idea. Could you explain , please

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me, I didn't get your idea. Could you explain , please
    I dont know what to do in life so I let my parent pick, sigh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Not So Average)
    I dont know what to do in life so I let my parent pick, sigh.
    That's quite an interesting situation

ReputationRep:
    Only in certain households where the parents want their child to be a lawyer or doctor...

My parents have been extremely supportive in my career choice, and I would say they're proud.

ReputationRep:
    Do I have to? Not at all. But if you are uncertain about your career path, then it's definitely worth considering their input.

ReputationRep:
    This interference is very possibly more common in non-indigenous British families.

ReputationRep:
    both my parents are teachers, im no way going to be one

ReputationRep:
    My parents are Indian, therefore going down a non-academic route was never an option for me. :lol: They would try to talk me out of it (that's if I did go down a non-academic path), however they wouldn't force anything upon me. From a young age my parents told me to go down the medical, finance, law, engineering path, and from what I have decided to do, it looks like I will go down that path. So yes, I guess my parents had a big influence on me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drowzee)
    My parents are Indian, therefore going down a non-academic route was never an option for me. :lol: They would try to talk me out of it (that's if I did go down a non-academic path), however they wouldn't force anything upon me. From a young age my parents told me to go down the medical, finance, law, engineering path, and from what I have decided to do, it looks like I will go down that path. So yes, I guess my parents had a big influence on me.
    Wow, that's one of the responses I was hoping to get.
    I really grateful for your story

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.