Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Teachers demand schools stop promoting British values over cultural supremacy fears Watch

ReputationRep:
    Stop promoting British values IN Britain....lol that is laughable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    Yeah I guess they have a lot of brushing up to do.

After all, they apparently produced a load of anti-intellectual ideologues, many of whom appear to be fans of Donald Trump.
    Perhaps you'll do better when you end up geography teacher. That is, after all, the height of intellectualism.

ReputationRep:
    The article annoyed me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multiculturalism)
    Oh please

Lets look at the Roman Empire - a European country - which practiced slavery and infanticide

A much worse place than modern South Africa - a non-white country - which is a very tolerant and multicultural society
    Shows how desperate your arguments are when you have to go back in time 2000 years to find an example to support your case.

South Africa isn't tolerant at all. Most whites are forced to live behind barbed wire for their own safety. It's a dump of a country.

ReputationRep:
    Multiculturalism is a bloody troll you idiots.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    The National Union of Teachers (NUT) said telling children about the country's democracy, law and traditions could encourage 'cultural supremacy' and urged a new focus on 'international human rights' instead. Union leaders said the the term 'British values' was demeaning to other cultures 'particularly in the context of multicultural schools and the wider picture of migration'.

Christopher Denson, an NUT representative: 'We need to fight to reject this notion of British values, to fight for notions of human values and human rights. We have to stand together across communities to bring down barriers, bring down borders, to say no to Islamophobia, no to anti-Semitism, no to fascism and any form of racism.'

Mr Denson said he disliked using the term 'fundamental British values' in his classroom when many of his pupils had ancestry in countries which had encountered British colonialism. He said: 'The inherent cultural supremacism in that term is both unnecessary and unacceptable. And seen with the Prevent agenda, it belies the most thinly veiled racism and a conscious effort to divide communities.' He added: 'It's our duty to push real anti-racist work in all schools.'He said he had requested a week of themed assemblies every year in his school, with topics including apartheid and the rise of Islamophobia.'This year we focussed on the migrant crisis,' he added. 'We organised a politics day for Year 8s... ...Apart from the quality of the work, the other thing that really made my proud was that every single tutor group had as a policy, 'refugees welcome, open the borders', We need to be pushing at every level for anti-racism to be in the core curriculum.'

The NUT passed a motion that criticised the government for only taking in a 'minute fraction' of refugees and vowed to campaign for 'policies that welcome' them to the country.

Many at the conference said they volunteered at migrant camps in Calais. Christine Blower, general secretary of the NUT said: 'Schools and teachers play a key role in welcoming migrant[s] to this country... The NUT condemns the Government's inadequate response to the current migrant situation... The NUT has produced a guide to Welcoming Refugee Children to your School... The NUT will continue to work with Show Racism the Red Card, Hope Not Hate and others, to campaign for Government policies that welcome migrants and refugees to this country. The NUT will also continue to press for anti-racism work to be enshrined within the curriculum of all schools.'

Chris McGovern, of the Campaign for Real Education, said: 'Teachers should not be playing the role of fifth columnists in the ideological war currently being fought over our national identity... Teaching children that British values are part of "cultural supremacism" will, at best, make them feel guilty about being British and, at worst, radicalise them in order to 'make up' for the sins of their fathers. If one wishes to destroy a nation and build a "brave new world" you begin by indoctrinating and brainwashing the children. This process of 're-education' has started some years ago in our schools and we are, now, seeing its consequences in the suppression of free speech on our university campuses. The notion of 'value relativism' - that all views are equally valid - has [resulted, in] many classrooms, [in] the views of terrorists being given equal weigh to those of the victim of terrorism.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html#comments

Anyone else worried about the ridiculous political bias of teachers?
    Outrageous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    The things that Mr Denson objects to, like the teachings on democracy, the law, our rights, are built into the bedrock of our society. Without teaching these things, how will you ever hope to be a proper citizen of this country.

What he says also contain some dangerous lies. I see that he gets very close to confounding being against taking in refugees with racism.
    I knew about democracy long before I had to sit through these *****y "British values" lessons. Total waste of time to appease some idiot nationalists.

Sad that people are kicking off just because teachers don't want to waste their time ****ing indoctrinating their pupils.

ReputationRep:
    Some people can use guns to save lives. And some can use them to take lives. Then what's the value of guns? Brand name? What's the value of humanity? Nationality?

"Words do not express Sunyata very well; every thing immediately becomes a little different, a little distorted, a little foolish and yet it also pleases me and seems right that what is of value and wisdom of one man seems nonsense to another."

-Buddha-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    can you guys stop using dailymail? They are unreliable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Truths)
    can you guys stop using dailymail? They are unreliable.
    I'm sure they would say the same about left media too like huff post

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whites are the only people on this earth these days who are not allowed anything of their own. We've been abolished.

Everyone else can be proud of their *****y heritage and history, but not us who have contributed so much great things to society. What a joke. If you're going to say slavery and colonialism, those things aren't strictly white.

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit long but I don't see whats wrong with it. Its saying that we should promote British values under universal values and not under the banner of British values. Its just a name but the values are the same and shared. If universal values can have a far reaching effect and can be related better by the non British native population than British values, why not

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EccentricDiamond)
    Non white values are inferior to European values
    In this thread we are talking about British values. All of a sudden someone pops up with 'European values'.

Further proves the point of OP. Values do not belong to a specific ethnic group or nation. It is also not static and ever changing. If we want to promote certain values, it must be able to be related to the target audience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Multiculturalism is a bloody troll you idiots.
    Are you going to attack me, or my arguments?

I am not a troll, and stop resorting to ad hominems, it just shows how weak your position is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    I'm sure they would say the same about left media too like huff post

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It has nothing to do with left wing/ right wing. Dailymail are very bad at reporting facts, so I can't even have an opinion on this incident because I cant even be sure on whats true and whats misreporting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    In this thread we are talking about British values. All of a sudden someone pops up with 'European values'.

Further proves the point of OP. Values do not belong to a specific ethnic group or nation. It is also not static and ever changing. If we want to promote certain values, it must be able to be related to the target audience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Rubbish, equality of women is uniquely a European value

ReputationRep:
    Oh please

Lets look at the Roman Empire - a European country - which practiced slavery and infanticide

A much worse place than modern South Africa - a non-white country - which is a very tolerant and multicultural society
    The Roman Empire was 2000 years ago idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EccentricDiamond)
    The Roman Empire was 2000 years ago idiot
    Israel then

ReputationRep:
    Israel then
    Your scraping the bottom of the barrel. Palestine rejected a two state solution before Israel was created and what does this have to do with European values. Go away idiot

ReputationRep:
    So they want schools to boycott the fabulous Gemma Chan, Idris Elba, John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Chipo Chung, Tom Hiddleston, The Queen, The Royal Family and many more because they are part of British culture?

The problem with not promoting British values is when I stop promoting British values, foreign people are going to asking me what is so great about Great Britain?

If they want children of non-british parents to feel proud of their heritage, then they must put the in the extra work. They have to remember people from Pakistan didn't come to Britain to learn about Nigerian culture, lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.