Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could someone please help with how to determine a best regression equation in minitab watch

ReputationRep:
    Using minitab 16, for a regression model, how would I determine the ‘best’ regression equation by using an all-possible subset regression approach with suitable selection criteria (and how does one choose this "suitable selection criteria")?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruce Harrisface)
    Using minitab 16, for a regression model, how would I determine the ‘best’ regression equation by using an all-possible subset regression approach with suitable selection criteria (and how does one choose this "suitable selection criteria"?
    Maybe this will help. The criterion that one uses for selecting between models depends upon the use that you're going to make of the final model. I don't use minitab, so I don't know which criteria it offers, but they will likely be to do with regression fit, explained variation or prediction accuracy.

BTW, all-subsets selection (and step-wise selection) are, in general, very poor methods of arriving at a final regression model. They were very popular a few years ago (hence they have been built into current software), but they have been shown to have very poor selection performance. Replaced these days with shrinkage techniques like the Lasso.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the best subsets approach so now I have this table
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459200842.176681.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  235.0 KB
    How do I get the regression equation from this?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, wrong image
    How would I get the equation from this table?Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459201746.916218.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  167.6 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruce Harrisface)
    Sorry, wrong image
    How would I get the equation from this table?Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459201746.916218.jpg
Views: 41
Size:  167.6 KB
    The selection criteria criteria you are given there are:

(i) R-squared: this measures the amount of explained variation in the regression. Higher is better.
    (ii) Adjusted R-squared: same as (i) but with a penalty for the number of regression covariates. Tends to be favoured over (i) as it prefers "compact" regression equations.
    (iii) Mallows Cp: this is equivalent to the Akaike Information Criterion (AIC), smaller is better subject to the expected value of Cp should be approximately equal to the number of covariates plus one (the constant).
    (iv) S: the standard error of the regression. Again, smaller is better.

Here you have a whole bunch of choices with adjusted R-squared above 90%. Any of these would be good candidates. If you want to pick one then pick the fifth with adjusted R-squared of 91.3, though note that Mallows Cp might be a bit low, so you should check all of the regression diagnostics before you use it for inference or prediction.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.