The Student Room Group

Edexcel S4 - Friday 24th June 2016 AM

Scroll to see replies

veconomics
Hi Sean,

I understand you did S4. I have a question about the paper if you dont mind answering. In the markscheme, whenever we do t distribution it has the +_ (minus sign below plus sign). Do we have to put this is in the answer, or is it saying you can have plus or minus.

Thanks

veconomcis

:wavey:

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but the t distribution is symmetrical like the normal distribution, so just like if you had the sample mean xbar from a normally distributed set of points and wanted the 95% interval, you would do xbar +/- 1.96sd to find the confidence interval.Similarly, with a t distribution you'd do xbar +/- t(degrees of freedom, significance level = alpha*s or s/rootn depending on what the interval is for.
Original post by SeanFM
:wavey:

I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but the t distribution is symmetrical like the normal distribution, so just like if you had the sample mean xbar from a normally distributed set of points and wanted the 95% interval, you would do xbar +/- 1.96sd to find the confidence interval.Similarly, with a t distribution you'd do xbar +/- t(degrees of freedom, significance level = alpha*s or s/rootn depending on what the interval is for.

Hi Sean, Thanks for the message. Yes I understand what you mean. Thanks for your help. :smile:
june 06 ms has an error i'm pretty sure
Original post by tazza ma razza
june 06 ms has an error i'm pretty sure

Where

Posted from TSR Mobile
q2 i think

I agree, I think there is an error on q2
Original post by Diraculous
Is there anyone who could help me with question 7b?
Attachment not found

image1 (2).jpg

Oops - didn't see this, sorry! Did you still need hints?
Original post by SeanFM
Oops - didn't see this, sorry! Did you still need hints?

Yes, would be good
Original post by Diraculous
Yes, would be good

The 'power function' of a test is just an algebraic way of expressing what you do when you're doing things like what you did in part c - calculating the 'power' of a test for a given value of p. Instead of having a number like 0.2 or 0.7, you are supposed to express it in terms of 'p' which works for any value, so you can substitute in p=0.2 or p=0.7 or anything.

So given that the actual probability is p, what is the power of the test in the question? (How would you find it?)
I still haven't learnt past the first chapter of S4 :/ Is there any part of the module that's especially tricky (i.e. I should probably look at soon)?
Signing on :smile:

Anyone studied the module yet?
Lol Ch 1 done today. Two left !

Posted from TSR Mobile
I finished it before December time going over it again. Still got to finish FP2 though :afraid:

I'm doing FP1, FP2, S2, S3, S4, C3, C4 this year.
Original post by NewMedic
I still haven't learnt past the first chapter of S4 :/ Is there any part of the module that's especially tricky (i.e. I should probably look at soon)?

Not as far as I am aware... nothing in particular is difficult.
Original post by NewMedic

Not particularly, some of the F distributions stuff is a little bit, but generally it's quite easy
How does this exam compare to S1,S2 and more specifically, S3?
Original post by Katiee224
How does this exam compare to S1,S2 and more specifically, S3?

S1 is different in terms of content to S2, S3 and S4. In my opinion, S3 is more difficult than S4, and S4 is slightly harder than S2, and S1.. well, its difficulty is different to the difficulty of the other S units.
No harder than S2 or S3. It's such an easy unit really chapter one is type 1 and type 2 errors which really is just a fancy way for asking for a certain probability nothing too hard here.

The rest is just hypothesis testing with different distributions the same stuff you've been doing in S2&3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Original post by SeanFM
S1 is different in terms of content to S2, S3 and S4. In my opinion, S3 is more difficult than S4, and S4 is slightly harder than S2, and S1.. well, its difficulty is different to the difficulty of the other S units.

Why did you find s4 easier than s3?
Original post by ragreener1
No harder than S2 or S3. It's such an easy unit really chapter one is type 1 and type 2 errors which really is just a fancy way for asking for a certain probability nothing too hard here.

The rest is just hypothesis testing with different distributions the same stuff you've been doing in S2&3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wish I entered for this exam now, I love statistics :laugh:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending