The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have no idea what the smeg you lot are on about, you're forcing me to retire to bed!
Reply 161
tis_me_lord
I have no idea what the smeg you lot are on about, you're forcing me to retire to bed!

And then there was one :biggrin:
I'm not gone quite yet, i'm not tired enough. :frown:
Reply 163
Zapsta
Erm... how about the over reliance on dialogue? Or the one dimensional characters? Or the complete lack of a decent story?!

It's a satire of relationships and society in Jane Austen's time! Your criticisms are like saying "Harry Potter is completely unrealistic".. JK Rowling wasn't trying to write a slice-of-life novel and Jane Austen wasn't trying to write an edge-of-your-seat, psychological, descriptive thriller!

and you can't call Elizabeth Bennet one dimensional :eek: Well, you can, but lots of people would disagree!
Reply 164
F. Poste
It's a satire of relationships and society in Jane Austen's time! Your criticisms are like saying "Harry Potter is completely unrealistic".. JK Rowling wasn't trying to write a slice-of-life novel and Jane Austen wasn't trying to write an edge-of-your-seat, psychological, descriptive thriller!

and you can't call Elizabeth Bennet one dimensional :eek: Well, you can, but lots of people would disagree!

A fellow HP fan? :smile:

(edit: but, of course, I'm a very *serious* future English lit. student :rolleyes: )
Reply 165
imasillynarb
Yes, Aylesbury is shit.

Random but true...
Reply 166
Zapsta
And then there was one :biggrin:

Two. but i'm a bit late.
Reply 167
imasillynarb
Yes, Aylesbury is shit.

where did that come from?
Fly By
ahhh...what book?

hehe, only few people knows why i'm called fly by :wink: but i'm not tell you! :tongue:

Flora Poste - the protagonist of Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons.
Reply 169
shilling
A fellow HP fan? :smile:

(edit: but, of course, I'm a very *serious* future English lit. student :rolleyes: )

Me too! and me too! :wink:
Reply 170
bratcat
Flora Poste - the protagonist of Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons.

It's a good day for UKL book lovers :wink: you're the first one so far who's spotted that alone!
Reply 171
tis_me_lord
I have sleeping problems....that's why i'm up.

Ditto :rolleyes: :frown: :biggrin:
Ok off to bed i toddle, so toodles late toddling toddlers.
tis_me_lord

see ya then!
Reply 174
tis_me_lord

Lightweight :tongue: :biggrin:
Reply 175
F. Poste

Yes, excellent satire in which she manages to get the reader caught up in the romanticism of it. And doesn't make anyone laugh. Job well done Jane Austen! Go and write another book now, based on exactly the same concept but with a different title and characters with different names. Don't forget the ridiculous characters - the unsubtlety is obviously a stroke of genius and not just pure crassness.

She may have been trying to write "a satire of relationships and society" but it just developed into her own stupid little fantasy, which no one should care about but loads of people did. Maybe because the spelling was quite good. The fact that this was all based on the era she was living in just adds to unoriginallity of it all. Get an imagination! Nobody would get away with a modern day version of the story.

Harry Potter is just terribly written. And also suffers from cliched plot.
Reply 176
Zapsta
And doesn't make anyone laugh.

She makes me laugh.
Reply 177
Zapsta
The fact that this was all based on the era she was living in just adds to unoriginallity of it all. Get an imagination! Nobody would get away with a modern day version of the story.

If you want "original", go and read a fantasy novel. And what should she have based it on, a made up society? A vision of the future? Yeah, that would have made a great book, some woman trying to ridicule an imaginary British society in 3033 :rolleyes:

And actually, Helen Fielding has said that Bridget Jones is really just a modern day version of Pride and Prejudice, and its sales and success would tell you that she did get away with it.
Reply 178
shilling
She makes me laugh.

example (definitely made me laugh when I read it): "She was not a woman of many words; for unlike people in general, she proportioned them to the number of her ideas."
Reply 179
Shit, I posted that^^ on the wrong thread :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending