Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    S12 - Statement from the Department of Health

Department of Health
    Secretary of State: The Rt Hon. Kay_Winters MP

Response to M361 – Motion on Organ Donation

The Department of Health thanks the Honourable Member for their motion, and accepts the result of the House in passing said motion. In response the Department of Health shall start an internal review on the current organ donation system in the UK, and consider the case for changing the current opt in system to that of an opt out system.
    Once the review into the current organ donation system is concluded the Department for Health shall release a statement of the Department of Health’s view, and if needed produce legislation to enact any changes decided upon.

Response to M362 – Motion on the NHS Bursary

The Department of Health welcomes the Government’s motion, which passed successfully through the house, on the National Health Service bursary, and can confirm the pledge to maintain the bursary until at least 2025, these students who receive the bursary will go on to become the backbone and essence of our National Health Service.
    Furthermore the Department of Health, on behalf of the entire Government, also recognises, and praises, all workers in the National Health Service, the hard work they put in around the clock, 24/7 to keep the nation healthy and fit. Additional the Department of Health acknowledges the hard work students go through on top of their academic work, including the extensive and unpaid placement hours, in order to qualify and go on to work in our National Health Service.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    A statement to say the Department of Health is doing something but a statement that does not bring any change is a statement the MHoC could have not had.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect you can enact much of what you wish to in terms of organ donation by way of an SoI. Rest seems good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    A statement to say the Department of Health is doing something but a statement that does not bring any change is a statement the MHoC could have not had.
    Jammy mentioned there were two motions passed while Saorise was SoS for Health which never got addressed, this is me trying o make up for that by answering to both the passed motions, one was a Government motion so there wasn't much to do there, the other by I believe barnetlad is something which may take a week or two at least to draft up, debate and discuss government positions as I can see it being controversial amongst some, and with little time left of this Parliament I am simply setting up a review into what the motion proposed.

This is a statement, to inform the House of what the Government is doing, simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I suspect you can enact much of what you wish to in terms of organ donation by way of an SoI. Rest seems good.
    This is a possibility, and will be something we will look into, and something we will consult the speaker on as well for sure
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Jammy mentioned there were two motions passed while Saorise was SoS for Health which never got addressed, this is me trying o make up for that by answering to both the passed motions, one was a Government motion so there wasn't much to do there, the other by I believe barnetlad is something which may take a week or two at least to draft up, debate and discuss government positions as I can see it being controversial amongst some, and with little time left of this Parliament I am simply setting up a review into what the motion proposed.

This is a statement, to inform the House of what the Government is doing, simple as.
    That is the point, a statement to tell members the government is doing something repeats the mantra that has been pushed in the Ask the Government thread. The correct response would be a Statement of Intent from the Department of Health containing the actions the government is going to take, or a bill if that was felt to be needed; a general statement does nothing.

ReputationRep:
    That is the point, a statement to tell members the government is doing something repeats the mantra that has been pushed in the Ask the Government thread. The correct response would be a Statement of Intent from the Department of Health containing the actions the government is going to take, or a bill if that was felt to be needed; a general statement does nothing.
    The statement confirms we are going to keep the NHS bursary till at least 2025, and confirms that we have started looking into the possibility of changing the organ donation system, something which is a controversial issue, and it may end up not being resolved till the next parliament, so I promise that in power or not a Labour led government or a Labour opposition will produce the results of the review, and if then needed put a bill or either a SoI to the house in Government, or a motion to the Government in Opposition depending on which is most appropriate.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The second part is a binding issue as part of an SoI. For the first part I intend to write and bring forward legislation on that topic (in government or not) at the beginning of next term.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Statement part 1 TL;DR :We acknowledge and are doing nothing more

Part 2: treasury needs involving

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Statement part 1 TL;DR :We acknowledge and are doing nothing more

Part 2: treasury needs involving

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Part 1) Saracen's Fez is taking a lead on it himself, but given the delicate and perhaps controversial the issue is I feel it will take longer than this Parliament, and this is simply binding us to the issue, something you you lovely people in opposition to wave in our face should we not produce anything.

Part 2) I would suggest as we are merely continuing the scheme currently in use we don't, however if another budget is produce I shall make sure to get the chancellor to include this in the budget
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Part 1) Saracen's Fez is taking a lead on it himself, but given the delicate and perhaps controversial the issue is I feel it will take longer than this Parliament, and this is simply binding us to the issue, something you you lovely people in opposition to wave in our face should we not produce anything.

Part 2) I would suggest as we are merely continuing the scheme currently in use we don't, however if another budget is produce I shall make sure to get the chancellor to include this in the budget
    Canon amendment, is it not already gone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Canon amendment, is it not already gone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If this is the case I shall get the chancellor, when he next shows up, on this issue, any idea which bill it might have been removed under, so I have somewhere to start
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If this is the case I shall get the chancellor, when he next shows up, on this issue, any idea which bill it might have been removed under, so I have somewhere to start
    You don't have long to get a new chancellor

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't have long to get a new chancellor

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't disagree with you there

ReputationRep:
    When my Improvement of the British People Bill passes, you could take the organs of some of the sterilised people.

ReputationRep:
    I thank the Government for their statement and look forward to seeing their proposal in support of my motion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    I thank the Government for their statement and look forward to seeing their proposal in support of my motion.
    This is the proposal "we'll pass it on to the next guy"
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    This is in cessation
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Since not enough time remains for division, this item has been automatically withdrawn and so the measures within this SOI should be considered passed by the House.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.