Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde (GCSE) (year 10) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I am studying Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde during school and we have to find the meaning/message of a specific piece of text, although my teacher has went through this I do not like the method she has used and was wondering if anyone else knew different methods or link me to a website/youtube videos about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serena32)
    At the moment I am studying Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde during school and we have to find the meaning/message of a specific piece of text, although my teacher has went through this I do not like the method she has used and was wondering if anyone else knew different methods or link me to a website/youtube videos about it
    You should try using BBC Bitesize GCSE it has chapter summaries, quotes and character analysis, its very useful just select English Lit and find Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde

Sparknotes.com
    ^check it out

ReputationRep:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Englis...s+gcse+english

This book has summaries of each chapter and explodes quotes for you. I use it alt and have found it has helped me so much

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Rather than looking at websites, try and improve your own method of inference, as in the exam, you won't have a website to help you.

1) Firstly, pick out a quotation - it has to be concise and not use full sentences, remember to use quotation marks.
    2) Then zoom in on important words, and pick out specific techniques that the writer has used - for example, personification, metaphor, repetition, assonance etc. When talking about a word, tell what kind of word it is, for example, noun, verb , adverb, pronoun.
    3) Next try and find any hidden meanings that the writer has tried to convey to the reader.
    4) Afterwards, zoom out and explore how the atmosphere and different themes have been altered.
    5) Next talk about the affect on the reader.
    6) Finally, support your arguments an ideas with contextual facts. When doing Jekyll and Hyde, you can talk about the expectations of the upper class, the stringent limitations of living in a predominantly Catholic society, seven deadly sins, the place where Stevenson was bought up (Edinburgh), views of Darwin's theory, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and so much more.

I hope this helped
    A

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.