serena32
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
At the moment I am studying Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde during school and we have to find the meaning/message of a specific piece of text, although my teacher has went through this I do not like the method she has used and was wondering if anyone else knew different methods or link me to a website/youtube videos about it
Aq910
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by serena32)
At the moment I am studying Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde during school and we have to find the meaning/message of a specific piece of text, although my teacher has went through this I do not like the method she has used and was wondering if anyone else knew different methods or link me to a website/youtube videos about it
You should try using BBC Bitesize GCSE it has chapter summaries, quotes and character analysis, its very useful just select English Lit and find Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
tamil fever
Badges: 20
Report 3 years ago
Sparknotes.com
^check it out
i_ggrt
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
https://www.amazon.co.uk/GCSE-Englis...s+gcse+english

This book has summaries of each chapter and explodes quotes for you. I use it alt and have found it has helped me so much
alwin.sm
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

Rather than looking at websites, try and improve your own method of inference, as in the exam, you won't have a website to help you.

1) Firstly, pick out a quotation - it has to be concise and not use full sentences, remember to use quotation marks.
2) Then zoom in on important words, and pick out specific techniques that the writer has used - for example, personification, metaphor, repetition, assonance etc. When talking about a word, tell what kind of word it is, for example, noun, verb , adverb, pronoun.
3) Next try and find any hidden meanings that the writer has tried to convey to the reader.
4) Afterwards, zoom out and explore how the atmosphere and different themes have been altered.
5) Next talk about the affect on the reader.
6) Finally, support your arguments an ideas with contextual facts. When doing Jekyll and Hyde, you can talk about the expectations of the upper class, the stringent limitations of living in a predominantly Catholic society, seven deadly sins, the place where Stevenson was bought up (Edinburgh), views of Darwin's theory, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and so much more.

I hope this helped
A
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Had lockdown impacted your relationships?

Yes, my partner and I are struggling (21)
7.47%
Yes, my partner and I broke up (22)
7.83%
Yes, it's hard being around my family so much (59)
21%
Yes, I'm feeling lonely isolating alone (34)
12.1%
No, nothing has changed (88)
31.32%
No, it's helped improve my relationships (57)
20.28%

Watched Threads