Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i reckon travelling within sheffield is easier than in most other cities i have been to, been to birmingham, leeds, hull and durham and none of them compare to sheffield! And on the whole it does work out chea[er, even taxis are cheaper, well if you go in a group, could cost about £2 per person! not bad hey!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xxx Mini xxX)
    i reckon travelling within sheffield is easier than in most other cities i have been to, been to birmingham, leeds, hull and durham and none of them compare to sheffield! And on the whole it does work out chea[er, even taxis are cheaper, well if you go in a group, could cost about £2 per person! not bad hey!

It's in part due to the fact that transport in Sheffield is integrated by the SYPTE so that everything links up nicely.

So if you get the tram to Halfway, you can guarentee that when you arrive at Halfway, there will be a bus waiting for you - or visa verca when you get off the bus at Halfway.

ReputationRep:
    Can you get the bus from your halls to campus? or is the walk not as bad as it seemed?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by work_it)
    Can you get the bus from your halls to campus? or is the walk not as bad as it seemed?!

Halls (excl. Tapton) to Uni, yes very much so; service 60 (Purple Route - Destination Sheffield Transport Interchange) runs on the Fulwood Road from Ranmoor, running along there to the junction of Fulwood Road/Manchester Road in Broomhill, then turning right down the side of the HSBC at The York (Scream Bar), making it's way down past Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Drama Studios, Bar One back entrance (for the Concourse), and then straight over down to West Street for the Mappin Street depts.
    [Service 60 continues down West Street, turning right at City Hall tram stop, passing the Peace Gardens, and turning left at Moorhead. At the roundabout with Arundal Gate/Firestation, the service goes straight ahead making it's way down to Transport Interchange, for Ponds Forge, Railway Station, and National Express connections].

On the way back from Uni this service will show it's destination at "Fulwood - Crimicar Lane".

If you're at Tapton Hall follow instructions on the top post regarding service 52 [Red Route] towards Woodhouse (going to Uni), and to Crookes/Hillsborough (back to Tapton).

The walk down from halls is fine taking 25 minutes at most. It's the walk up from Uni that will take some getting used to, but it will get you fit !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by work_it)
    I lived in tapton, got the bus twice in the whole year, but only because it was pooring with rain and I forgot a coat, no need to use the buses regularly really.

Expression you're like some kind of transport guru.. do you memorise bus timetables for a laugh or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KidA)
    I lived in tapton, got the bus twice in the whole year, but only because it was pooring with rain and I forgot a coat, no need to use the buses regularly really.

Expression you're like some kind of transport guru.. do you memorise bus timetables for a laugh or something?

I gave up after I found I couldn't outdo AT82 with his Manchester knowledge !!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyitfc)
    when going into town for a night out, do many people get taxis? or do most people walk all the way back to halls? (btw do buses stop about 11.30pm? seems to be about the norm)
    wow I've just found this super old thread and post - it's before I came to uni! That's more than 1 1/2 years old that post. my question really did depend on where you were going from and too didnt it, the answer is very much yes if you're in town, but depends on weather and state of drunkeness if coming from union. lol, oh the memories.

ReputationRep:
    Just to point out that Stagecoach Group will be taking over the old Yorkshire Terrier bus routes as from Tuesday 2nd May 2006.

This mainly affects the folks who caught Terrier route 52 upto Crookes/Hillsborough, but other Terrier routes are also ran across the city.

What it does mean is that you can now buy a £2.70 Day Rider ticket on Stagecoach bus to include the Stagecoach Supertram, or visa versa, instead of the £3.95 SY Day Tripper.

Further, the frequency of 52 services improve from 12 minutes when the route was ran by Terrier, to 10 minutes on Stagecoach.

The last 52 service Monday-Friday, from the city centre to Crookes leaves University at around 1802.

(NB: The First Overground Red Route 52, continues to operate through this transition with no impact on timetabling)

ReputationRep:
    How much it costs from Manchester airport to Sheffield if takes train?

ReputationRep:
    Its around £16 I think, depending on the type of ticket you get and when you travel. With a young persons railcard it goes down to about £11.

ReputationRep:
    Alright, thanks for the info!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expression)
    Travel Between Robin Hood Doncaster/Sheffield Airport - Sheffield

Firstly, Robin Hood Airport is located in Finningley, near Doncaster - to get to the city you:

1) Need to catch the Airport Arrow - distinctive logos, cant miss it - information from the link below:
    http://www.robinhoodairport.com/show...hp?file_id=126
    This will take you from the Airport ultimately to Doncaster Rail Station in around 25 minutes.

2) Then, take the Train - ask for a SINGLE TICKET TO SHEFFIELD.
    They'll tell you it's GBP 3.20, and then ask which platform that departs from and at what time.
    You can use the South Yorkshire Daytripper to get from Robin Hood Airport to Sheffield, for all buses, trains and trams! The price at the moment is £4.50.

ReputationRep:
    can you guys recommend the best way to reach Sheffield from London . I am coming from Bangladesh and there is no direct flight to Manchester. So ... plz advice

ReputationRep:
    Although I live near Leeds I usually go to sheffield to get the train to london- takes about 2 hrs 15 mins if i remember correctly.

This website has good deals:

www.midlandmainline.com

You can also go by coach i think but it takes 5 - 6 hours

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help...

In the South Yorks area, what sort of student bus and tram passes are available? As I cant seem to find any info. As this is how I will commute from my lovely house to sheffield uni in a very short matter of time (4 weeks).

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cally)
    Can anyone help...

In the South Yorks area, what sort of student bus and tram passes are available? As I cant seem to find any info. As this is how I will commute from my lovely house to sheffield uni in a very short matter of time (4 weeks).

Thanks.

You can buy a Uni rider Stagecoach Sheffield ticket for £85 for the first term - valid for the Supertram and Stagecoach Sheffield bus services, and this allows you to then pay a flat rate £1 "Travel adda" for bus journeys on other operators if you need to make a trip on a First bus for example.

More information in the tickets and information section on http://www.supertram.com

ReputationRep:
    thankies. One more small add-on question: what if i am travelling INTO sheffield? will the ticket be valid then? or is it simply valid AT or IN sheffield?

ReputationRep:
    Could anybody tell me about any park and rides on the outskirts of Sheffield that can take you into the centre. We're driving from Notts on Friday and my parents are the most rubbish drivers ever so we want to avoid the centre if poss xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -x-buttercup-x-)
    Could anybody tell me about any park and rides on the outskirts of Sheffield that can take you into the centre. We're driving from Notts on Friday and my parents are the most rubbish drivers ever so we want to avoid the centre if poss xxx

There are numerous park and rides, likely the best to use is either Meadowhall, which is at Junction 34 at Meadowhall Interchange train station, or you can use Nunnery Square which is on the Parkway Road before you get to Park Square Roundabout.

From Junction 33 of the M1 follow the signs for Sheffield City Centre and keep going down the Parkway until you see the blue Park & Ride signs.

University website has some P&R details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cally)
    thankies. One more small add-on question: what if i am travelling INTO sheffield? will the ticket be valid then? or is it simply valid AT or IN sheffield?

Hmmm think that might just be once you get into the First Sheffield Overground zone that you can utilise the Adda.

Alternatively then, you can buy a SYPTE Travel Card monthly from the local Ticket Info Centre. Now, until your 19th B/Day thats £39.50 per month, then once you turn 19, then it's £75 per month, but that's for unlimited travel on all South Yorkshire buses, local trains (not Virgin services though), and trams.

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/...aster16_19.htm
    http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/...ckets.html.htm

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.