The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Sheffield Guide: Public Transport

Scroll to see replies

Like with the SU article, I think the Sheffield transport article on TSR Wiki might need some updating - does anyone know about travel in Sheffield to have a go at it?

You can find the article here: http://thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Sheffield_University_Transport
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Dandelions
In our intro meeting last week a lecturer said something about students can now get any First bus for 50p with their UCard, but having looked on the First website it seems this only applies to the new buses that go from the uni to the Halls areas. I live in a non-student area where these buses don't go, does anyone know anything about whether you can pay just 50p on normal buses too?

I think you can get any Stagecoach bus for 50p with your UCard:smile:
pineapplesquish
I think you can get any Stagecoach bus for 50p with your UCard

Backing up what pineapplesquish said, you can also get on for 50p (can't remember if this is with First Mainline and/or Stagecoach) with pretty much any university ID. My brother who's in 6th Form tried it with my student card and it worked!

Might have a go at editing the transport pages a bit - the 60 is long dead! The number 40 replaces it now.
Reply 63
Hey, folks, could you be so kind as to explain how to get to Sheffield from East of Middlands Airport? I know that there are coaches going straight from the airport to the city, but I don't know whether I shall by a ticket to Sheffield or Sheffield Meadowhall (these are the options on nationalexpress site). So, could anyone help me how to reach the university?:smile:
Reply 64
Andrius
Hey, folks, could you be so kind as to explain how to get to Sheffield from East of Middlands Airport? I know that there are coaches going straight from the airport to the city, but I don't know whether I shall by a ticket to Sheffield or Sheffield Meadowhall (these are the options on nationalexpress site). So, could anyone help me how to reach the university?:smile:

If you're getting a coach from the NX site you want it to Sheffield, not Sheffield Meadowhall.

The other way to do it is to go from East Mids Airport to Nottingham on the connecting bus and then catch the train to Sheffield.
Reply 65
Hi, does anyone know how to get from The Forge Boston street to Hillsborough college Livesey Street on the bus or tram.

And how much it's probably gonna cost?

Thank you in advance.
Reply 66
R0b3rto0o
Hi, does anyone know how to get from The Forge Boston street to Hillsborough college Livesey Street on the bus or tram.

And how much it's probably gonna cost?

Thank you in advance.

Hi again!
Have you looked at the bus/tram websites? If you go here (for the tram) there are some links to maps showing you the different tram stops. If you click on the Sheffield suburbs map you can see roughly where you are in relation to the tram route.
Also I don't know if you've seenthis page - if you put in Boston Street to Hillsborough college it seems to come up with some buses.
Reply 67
_ Addie
Hi again!
Have you looked at the bus/tram websites? If you go here (for the tram) there are some links to maps showing you the different tram stops. If you click on the Sheffield suburbs map you can see roughly where you are in relation to the tram route.
Also I don't know if you've seenthis page - if you put in Boston Street to Hillsborough college it seems to come up with some buses.

Heeya!
Awesome, I think the closest Tram stop is Granville Road/The Sheffield College I'm not certain tho, thats 15 mins from Boston street.

£3 return! :O Thats was expensive!
Reply 68
R0b3rto0o
Heeya!
Awesome, I think the closest Tram stop is Granville Road/The Sheffield College I'm not certain tho, thats 15 mins from Boston street.

£3 return! :O Thats was expensive!

Yeah it's hard to tell...probably be trial and error when we get there! Bus is cheaper I think but I haven't found a definite route yet, there must be one. I have £30 a week if I don't manage to get a job so it's quite a big chunk at £3 a day. Ah well - may end up cycling after all! When do you start your course?
Reply 69
_ Addie
Yeah it's hard to tell...probably be trial and error when we get there! Bus is cheaper I think but I haven't found a definite route yet, there must be one. I have £30 a week if I don't manage to get a job so it's quite a big chunk at £3 a day. Ah well - may end up cycling after all! When do you start your course?

I guess for the first few weeks I will just try the tram then I can ask around about the bus service if it's cheaper. I'm in the exact same position I will have £30 a week to live on too, everyone else seems to have loads more to live on. First thing I am gonna do after finding out my timetable is to get a job. xD
I start on the 17th, thats my induction day.
What day do you start?
Reply 70
R0b3rto0o
I guess for the first few weeks I will just try the tram then I can ask around about the bus service if it's cheaper. I'm in the exact same position I will have £30 a week to live on too, everyone else seems to have loads more to live on. First thing I am gonna do after finding out my timetable is to get a job. xD
I start on the 17th, thats my induction day.
What day do you start?

Yeah job is definitely a priority! I'm not sure when I actually start at the college, I move up to Sheffield on the 18th then it's Fresher's Week so perhaps the week after that. Means I can pick your brain about how to get there, as you are going first :wink:
Reply 71
_ Addie
Yeah job is definitely a priority! I'm not sure when I actually start at the college, I move up to Sheffield on the 18th then it's Fresher's Week so perhaps the week after that. Means I can pick your brain about how to get there, as you are going first :wink:

Thats cool, and yeah I'll help you out when you move up. ^_^
Hi,
I'd like to know which mode of public transport will be most convenient from Endcliffe Village to the Alfred Deny/Mapping building in the Uni of Sheffield campus.. Also how much will it charge per trip? How long does it take to get from Endcliffe to the campus on foot?
Reply 73
tanayabardhan
Hi,
I'd like to know which mode of public transport will be most convenient from Endcliffe Village to the Alfred Deny/Mapping building in the Uni of Sheffield campus.. Also how much will it charge per trip? How long does it take to get from Endcliffe to the campus on foot?

There are buses. I've never caught one between Endcliffe and campus (they're so close) but the Stagecoach ones are 50p single, and the First buses are £1 return. To Mappin it's about 30 minutes, Alfred Denny is 20 minutes at a reasonable pace walking.
Reply 74
tanayabardhan
Hi,

Practically everyone walks.
If not, it's the 50p bus.
Reply 75
Hi

I'll come to UK through manchester airport next month and I'm planning to take train to sheffield . I'm new student at the the uni of Sheffield . I have accepted an offer for accommodation at Opal 2 . What is the closest tram station to Opal 2 ?

Your response will be appreciated

Thanks in advance
Hi,
I'd like to know which bus should i go by from Ranmoor Village to School of Architecture, Crookesmoor Building? And how much will it charge per trip?

THX :smile:
Reply 77
Theres not a direct one but the stops are close to each, the Uni rider, 52 etc.
Reply 78
namgad
Hi

I'll come to UK through manchester airport next month and I'm planning to take train to sheffield . I'm new student at the the uni of Sheffield . I have accepted an offer for accommodation at Opal 2 . What is the closest tram station to Opal 2 ?

Your response will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

The University tram stop / Netherthorpe Road (just after) on either the Yellow or blue routes. Its on the opposite side of the ring road to the main university campus.
Reply 79
Thanks Lee.Shaw

In reference to accommodation map . There are two tram stop close to the campus : "Netherthorpe" in Netherthorpe Road and the other one "University of Sheffield" in Upper Hanover street.

Regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending