Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apprantly A level reforms means GCSE is now MUCH more important to unis but isn't it unfair,i mean some of our gcse options were forced upon us and others we picked as young immature people.Atleast with A levels you pick when your mature and have passion for the subject.But yh now top universities will judge based on GCSE's,and its so unfair tbh

I've been told that GCSE matters much more due to AS being removed(more or less) and that is what univeristies will judge you by

ReputationRep:
    Unfairness is an important life lesson.

ReputationRep:
    lool i agree, the reforms arent fair. Not all a levels are linear now, e.g. maths and further maths.

Hopefully they look at predicted grades more too

ReputationRep:
    Some sixth forms will allow you to sit AS exams. It's not all that bad.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    AS exams are still very much a thing :erm:

ReputationRep:
    AS exists, just as a stand alone qualification.
    Schools don't want to do it because they have little value now.
    And as far as I know, GCSEs still aren't that important, even with the new GCSEs- A-Levels will, in most cases, still be the distinguishing factor in Universities.
    • Very Important Poster

Boo hooo if its that importnat then why arent all the Unis asking for only GCSE's.
    Can anyone confirm that GCSE's are now more importnat than A levels? Not convinced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Boo hooo if its that importnat then why arent all the Unis asking for only GCSE's.
    Can anyone confirm that GCSE's are now more importnat than A levels?
    No-one can confirm it because they're not. They're only harder :lol:
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by hxfsxh)
    No-one can confirm it because they're not. They're only harder :lol:
    well the OP seems convinced and he's mature.
    If they have taken AS out then by default GCSE becomes slightly more relevant, but I think the person who told the OP must have stopped tkaing their medication.

I fin this idea of its just not fair awesome. It should be the opening line of the personal statement.

Oh well...
    Let's crack on and try make better a bad situation eh?

ReputationRep:
    Even if this were the case (i.e. no AS levels), everyone would be in the same boat as you and you would be assessed relatively

ReputationRep:
    Life's not fair, better get used to it young one.

ReputationRep:
    Even if you get rejected by universities because your GCSE results don't reflect your true potential, you can always just take a gap year and apply to university once you have your A level results. That way you have an advantage on all the sixth form applicants and they can say that's unfair.

There's always a way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AGBF)
    Apprantly A level reforms means GCSE is now MUCH more important to unis but isn't it unfair,i mean some of our gcse options were forced upon us and others we picked as young immature people.Atleast with A levels you pick when your mature and have passion for the subject.But yh now top universities will judge based on GCSE's,and its so unfair tbh

I've been told that GCSE matters much more due to AS being removed(more or less) and that is what univeristies will judge you by
    Thank god for that, I really flopped my A-levels but have amazing GCSEs... I'm nearly finished with uni now tho lol I don't think it's gonna make a difference for me
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    Thank god for that, I really flopped my A-levels but have amazing GCSEs... I'm nearly finished with uni now tho lol I don't think it's gonna make a difference for me
    Honestly I think people interviewing will look at your degree class and thats it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jokesonyou)
    lool i agree, the reforms arent fair. Not all a levels are linear now, e.g. maths and further maths.

Hopefully they look at predicted grades more too
    Then try to get the best GCSE grades you can with your ability; get good mock grades for your AS subject; write an awesome PS; get an awesome reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    what is your degree grade average Java?

ReputationRep:
    Agreed, it absolutely sucks, especially for those whose sixth forms aren't doing AS exams.

I'm lucky in that mine is.

The reason that it's so unfair is that these students didn't know how important their GCSEs would be when they took them.

ReputationRep:
    As a guy who got 3as 3bs 4cs and an E, I was panicking until I realized this is for people younger than me
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Agreed, it absolutely sucks, especially for those whose sixth forms aren't doing AS exams.

I'm lucky in that mine is.

The reason that it's so unfair is that these students didn't know how important their GCSEs would be when they took them.
    But they will be compared against other students who didnt have that lifechanging knowledge.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.