Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Physics again watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Calculate the potential in the earths gravitational field a the position of:
    a) a geosyncrhonous orbit

help:|

ReputationRep:
    use GMm/r² = mv²/r, and v = 2pi r/T, where T is 24 hours (in seconds), to work out the radius of a geosynchronous orbit, then use Vg = -GM/r

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    A 320kg satllite is lifted from an orbity 1.2x10^6 above the surface of the earth to one which is 3.6x10^7 above the earths surface.

Calculate:
    a) the initial speed of the satellite

Isnt this just v^2 = Gmearth/r ???Im not getting the right answer

ReputationRep:
    Got it now, I forgot to add the radius of the earth

ReputationRep:
    *screams*

Using the info given above: calculate the change in PE when the satellites orbit is changed.

Ep = Gm1m2(1/r1-1/r2)

Why am I getting the wrong answerrrrrrrrrrr???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    *screams*

Using the info given above: calculate the change in PE when the satellites orbit is changed.

Ep = Gm1m2(1/r1-1/r2)

Why am I getting the wrong answerrrrrrrrrrr???
    Won't the change in PE be the same as the change in KE....using mv^2/r=Gm/r^2..........should give you the velocity and then u can find out the KE hence the PE............I think .....

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.