Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there!
    Really new here, I hope I can get some help and one day help others too
    I'm looking for a 1-year Biology A-Level course in London - but not a distance learning one.
    Must be a part-time course, as unfortunately I need to continue working to pay my rent!

Would really appreciate any recommendation - I found some places but hard to tell whether they're any good or not! It's been over a decade since I've done my A-Levels, so need a good place with good tutoring support.

Thank you!!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Is there a reason you can't do it yourself at home and pay for a tutor? Or you could do an Access to HE course. St Albans isn't in London but it isn't far, and I know this place does 1 year A levels (expensive though): http://www.stalbanscollege.co.uk/int...-level-course/

ReputationRep:
    In theory, I could. However... :/ I'm a foreigner so English is not my first language, plus have never sat your A-Levels so it's quite the unknown territory, plus I haven't been to school in about a decade, plus not very good at learning without a structured course (familiar with my own weaknesses!). All this led me to the conclusion I'm better off with an actual course, but am happy to hear opinions??

As to the Access course, I actually found a course which is relevant to the degree I'm trying to get into and sounds really interesting, but I can't do full time as still needs to earn some income, and part time would be two years - while the A-Level I can do in one year.

(Original post by Snufkin)
    Is there a reason you can't do it yourself at home and pay for a tutor? Or you could do an Access to HE course. St Albans isn't in London but it isn't far, and I know this place does 1 year A levels (expensive though): http://www.stalbanscollege.co.uk/int...-level-course/
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Daphna.S)
    In theory, I could. However... :/ I'm a foreigner so English is not my first language, plus have never sat your A-Levels so it's quite the unknown territory, plus I haven't been to school in about a decade, plus not very good at learning without a structured course (familiar with my own weaknesses!). All this led me to the conclusion I'm better off with an actual course, but am happy to hear opinions??

As to the Access course, I actually found a course which is relevant to the degree I'm trying to get into and sounds really interesting, but I can't do full time as still needs to earn some income, and part time would be two years - while the A-Level I can do in one year.
    Well the link in my sig outlines all the different ways to get into university, A levels are certainly not your only option. What degree do you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    Veterinary Nursing
    My high school diploma qualifies for the required GCSEs and A-Levels, except for that one Biology A-Level which I don't have at all. So I can do that, or opt for one of the other FE qualifications they accept (there are a number of them) - only thing is, all of them will take me 2 years which I would really prefer to avoid if possible.
    I think St Albans would be a bit too far out for me, as I live in East London and uprooting myself and my husband is not feasible at the moment...

(Original post by Snufkin)
    Well the link in my sig outlines all the different ways to get into university, A levels are certainly not your only option. What degree do you want to do?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.