Drop out now or wait til summer?

Watch
a-j-m
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I'm a few months off finishing my second year of uni, and now know that i definitely do not want to pursue my degree at all and definitely want to drop out.

However, I don't want to burn any bridges just in the very (very) small chance I change my mind, plus people have told me it looks bad to drop out mid-semester as opposed to during summer if i want to reapply to uni later.

The problem is, since making the decision, my motivation has plummeted to new depths, I'm doing the bare minimum to scrape by and just the thought of doing simple work for uni makes me anxious. Don't know if its very relevant but i've recently been given antidepressents too. So yeah, Im not sure i can handle this any more.

My question is, is it worth working on a course i hate for 2 more months when I know I'm going to drop out in summer? Will it make a difference if i just drop out now?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a-j-m)
So I'm a few months off finishing my second year of uni, and now know that i definitely do not want to pursue my degree at all and definitely want to drop out.

However, I don't want to burn any bridges just in the very (very) small chance I change my mind, plus people have told me it looks bad to drop out mid-semester as opposed to during summer if i want to reapply to uni later.

The problem is, since making the decision, my motivation has plummeted to new depths, I'm doing the bare minimum to scrape by and just the thought of doing simple work for uni makes me anxious. Don't know if its very relevant but i've recently been given antidepressents too. So yeah, Im not sure i can handle this any more.

My question is, is it worth working on a course i hate for 2 more months when I know I'm going to drop out in summer? Will it make a difference if i just drop out now?
You could wait till just before the next student finance payment to drop out then you wont end up being overpaid.
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what course is it? will determine if you should stay or not largely.

I would go a head as above since degrees are not cheap now.
a-j-m
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
You could wait till just before the next student finance payment to drop out then you wont end up being overpaid.
Sorry, I might be misunderstanding, what do you mean by overpaid?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
Depends on course, what else you wnat to do, the financial situation and what grades you are achieving.
Roving Fish
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd honestly just wait until summer. You still get a level of qualification and if you drop out now, you'll be 8 weeks away from being awarded a Diploma of Higher Education.

That is pass or fail and can be used if you want to go and complete the third year at a later date.
Roving Fish
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Depends on course, what else you wnat to do, the financial situation and what grades you are achieving.
Grades wouldn't be an issue for a Diploma of Higher Education, which is what would be awarded to OP if they dropped out after completing the second year. It's just a pass/fail situation. It does have modules completed and the mark, but it's still something for the CV.
a-j-m
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
what course is it? will determine if you should stay or not largely.

I would go a head as above since degrees are not cheap now.
It is a healthcare course, with the degree i could only go into that specific occupation, it couldnt really be applied to any other job.
I'm scottish, so my education is funded, and i would like to reapply to uni to do english one day and (i believe) if i havent used up all my funded uni years then i could use the rest of them for the english degree, which is part of the reason i want to drop out. My grades are ok, i think i could scrape by if i really needed to. I havent failed anything yet.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a-j-m)
It is a healthcare course, with the degree i could only go into that specific occupation, it couldnt really be applied to any other job.
I'm scottish, so my education is funded, and i would like to reapply to uni to do english one day and (i believe) if i havent used up all my funded uni years then i could use the rest of them for the english degree, which is part of the reason i want to drop out. My grades are ok, i think i could scrape by if i really needed to. I havent failed anything yet.
think you should drop out as soon as you've made your mind up.
jonathanemptage
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a-j-m)

with only 2 month (8 weeks) to go I'd try to tough it out you'll have some qualifications that way even if it's not a full degree just take it one day at a time and as you said don't burn any bridges and it does look better to say I spent 2 years at uni than saying i spent 1 year but dropped out in second year 2 months before the end.

We all support you good luck.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a-j-m)
So its just straight pros and cons.

Stay
you get a qualification, but it isnt importnat for what you wnat to do.
It does show you are able to stick things out.

Go
You need to look at the effect on funding, what difference it makes in £ if you miss the final payment.= check with sfe.
Go if its really making you unhappy.
Go if you don care about the 2 year quali
Go if you check with the institution you wnat to go to and they confirm it makes no difference.

So 2 people you need info from sfe and any prospective uni to check you arent prejudiced.
KoalaBoar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by a-j-m)

I really wanted to leave my nursing degree last year around this time, I was encouraged to stay on and at least finish the year to get a qualification of some sort. I'm now quite close to finishing my second year and hopefully moving onto my third year with the plans of doing something else. The good thing about nursing and most other healthcare degrees is that you will have a job at the end of your course, but the downside is if you don't like it now you won't like it later. If I were you I would at least finish my second year so you can get a qualification and your funding year has already been taken up, so whether you leave now or later it doesn't matter it still counts as a funded year.
a-j-m
Rep:
?
Thanks everyone!! You all really helped!
So its just straight pros and cons.

Stay
you get a qualification, but it isnt importnat for what you wnat to do.
It does show you are able to stick things out.

Go
You need to look at the effect on funding, what difference it makes in £ if you miss the final payment.= check with sfe.
Go if its really making you unhappy.
Go if you don care about the 2 year quali
Go if you check with the institution you wnat to go to and they confirm it makes no difference.

So 2 people you need info from sfe and any prospective uni to check you arent prejudiced.
Thanks for this it really helped! Ive decided to drop out now because i dont care about having the qualification + the course is making me unhappy thanks again x
samstown
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm in exactly the same position. My next student finance loan isn't due until April 25th (I don't get a grant), so if I drop out now does that mean I won't have been overpaid? I'm going to a different uni in september, so fee-wise does it follow the same procedure of I don't have to pay anything until I'm earning a certain amount? Or is there anything I would have to repay immediately?
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (260)
33.99%
No (505)
66.01%

Watched Threads