Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Only 4% of women are taller than their partners! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwardshortguy)
    I wonder what the number would be if partners were randomly assigned to each other? How much larger than 4% would it be?
    Well using data from US and normal distributions it seems that for a random given man and woman the man has around 91% chance of being taller, so 9% (obviously not fully representative but whatever)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slutty Salafi)
    If the two sides ever met, if would be like meet the parents, in so many ways.
    great film - does that make you Gaylord?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kielbasa)
    great film - does that make you Gaylord?
    FFS I walked into that one :rofl:

but yes, yes it does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Only 4% of women are taller than their partners
    good work, detective

ReputationRep:
    Only 4% of women are taller than their partners!

Why is this the case? I've seen some various points but some more insight would be useful
    This isn't scientific in any way shape or form but my best guess would be because social conditioning has taught woman that men must be taller than them and men that their partners must be shorter than them. Any deviation from this norm feels unnatural and strange

Short men are reluctant to date taller woman due to the stigma and lack of confidence as it implies that he is 'less of a man' if his woman is taller than he is. He may not be attracted to woman taller than him aswell as height is correlated with masculinity

Women want to feel small (aka: feminine) and protected hence a man of short stature would not fulfil these requirements

I personally think it's stupid, you should not discriminate on the basis of height; I've asked out men shorter than me before and they said no on the basis of the fact I was taller than them so I know how short guys feel when dating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    This isn't scientific in any way shape or form but my best guess would be because social conditioning has taught woman that men must be taller than them and men that their partners must be shorter than them. Any deviation from this norm feels unnatural and strange

Short men are reluctant to date taller woman due to the stigma and lack of confidence as it implies that he is 'less of a man' if his woman is taller than he is. He may not be attracted to woman taller than him aswell as height is correlated with masculinity

Women want to feel small (aka: feminine) and protected hence a man of short stature would not fulfil these requirements

I personally think it's stupid, you should not discriminate on the basis of height; I've asked out men shorter than me before and they said no on the basis of the fact I was taller than them so I know how short guys feel when dating
    Damn you must of been desperate.

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense lol. I wouldn't even think about dating a guy shorter than me for a second...

ReputationRep:
    Damn you must of been desperate.
    No, I just don't bother about height :rofl:

Not all girls all the same you know

This attitude is also probably why taller girls don't go for short guys aswell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I wouldnt date a guy who's shorter than me
    Not true, in principle, according to what you've previously told me :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Not true, in principle, according to what you've previously told me :curious:
    At 5'8 myself,why would I choose to date someone shorter than me? I've always stated that 6'0 is my minimum height requirement,depending on how much I like a guy,I'll probably stretch it to 5'10

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably stretch it to 5'10
    So if I revealed I was actually 5'9 1/2" you'd drop me like a sack of ****? Haha, ok love :hand:

ReputationRep:
    So if I revealed I was actually 5'9 1/2" you'd drop me like a sack of ****? Haha, ok love :hand:
    But you're not and you might as well consider yourself to be 5'10 if you 5'9 1/2 :laugh: I'll round it up

ReputationRep:
    I'm 5'8 and my boyfriend is just a bit shorter than me. I didn't think height was an important factor in a relationship. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg Jackson)
    70% of women say a man 'wouldn't stand a chance' if he was under 6ft.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...eth-Green.html

it's all over boyos
    It's lucky I'm part of the 6ft 5 master race then!

But seriously, as average height for a British guy is 5ft 9in (175cm) then most of that 70% are going to have to settle for guys under 6ft.

ReputationRep:
    But you're not and you might as well consider yourself to be 5'10 if you 5'9 1/2 :laugh: I'll round it up
    See what I'm saying?.. your standards are set in solid steel, but that's not to say they can't be bent, when one applies a little heat

ReputationRep:
    See what I'm saying?.. your standards are set in solid steel, but that's not to say they can't be bent, when one applies a little heat
    For the right man..I have no doubt about that

ReputationRep:
    I remember someone who used to talk about the fact that men were generally taller than women and therefore that breached feminism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meediaabid)
    I remember someone who used to talk about the fact that men were generally taller than women and therefore that breached feminism
    Used to?

Sounds like someone from this day and age

ReputationRep:
    Same height as me? Nah
    I prefer a guy to he at least a few inches taller
    Yeah because you'd totally reject Zac Efron for being the same height as you.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intelligent con)
    Yeah because you'd totally reject Zac Efron for being the same height as you.....
    Nah,I'm not into zac. Abit too feminine for my liking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.