Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18. I'm currently in the second month of a 12 month apprenticeship.

I'd like to buy a car, as I keep having to depend on my parents to drop me off and pick me up from work.

I CAN afford to buy this car. I have enough to buy the car outright, insure it (I've got quotes), fuel it, tax it, service it, MOT it, etc.

However, my parents have advised that I wait until around 9 months into the apprenticeship, so I have a better understanding of how the business works, and whether or not my employer is going to give me a proper full time job at the end of the 12 month apprenticeship. I understand their point, but then at the same time, I feel like - if I were to wait 9 months, gain confidence in the fact that my employer would give me a job, and then at the end of the apprenticeship he doesn't, I've just wasted my time anyway? I have confidence in the company, they're a small local business, they're really successful, and definitely don't seem like the kinda business who'd screw me over by laying me off at the end of the apprenticeship scheme.

TLDR; I want a car now, but my parents have advised me to wait until at least 6 months into the apprenticeship. I can afford a car. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Are your parents reliable? WIll they also provide a pseudo-taxi service for social activities? If so, you will save lots of money by waiting. If you buy a car, and then they don't employ you after the apprenticeship, will you be able to sell it fairly easily if you can't afford to keep it? If you are planning on taking out a loan to buy it, will depreciation leave you with enough from teh sale to pay off the loan?

It's up to you though - think about the downside, think about the upside. Which is more important to you/ of more value to you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheshiremum)
    Are your parents reliable? WIll they also provide a pseudo-taxi service for social activities? If so, you will save lots of money by waiting. If you buy a car, and then they don't employ you after the apprenticeship, will you be able to sell it fairly easily if you can't afford to keep it? If you are planning on taking out a loan to buy it, will depreciation leave you with enough from teh sale to pay off the loan?

It's up to you though - think about the downside, think about the upside. Which is more important to you/ of more value to you?
    Hi, thank you for your response. Yes, generally my parents are quite reliable in terms of dropping me off at social activities.

In terms of purchase, I would be buying the car outright, so there wouldnt be any problems concerning paying anything off whilst I have no job. Cus it will be paid for.

I have plenty money to buy, insure, and run this car. If i dont get a job at the end of this apprenticeship, i just won't use the car until i get another job, so in theory it won't cost me anything if i dont use the car?

idk.

what would you do? c:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adammichaelgreen)
    Hi, thank you for your response. Yes, generally my parents are quite reliable in terms of dropping me off at social activities.

In terms of purchase, I would be buying the car outright, so there wouldnt be any problems concerning paying anything off whilst I have no job. Cus it will be paid for.

I have plenty money to buy, insure, and run this car. If i dont get a job at the end of this apprenticeship, i just won't use the car until i get another job, so in theory it won't cost me anything if i dont use the car?

idk.

what would you do? c:
    *In theory* the car wouldn't cost you anything if you didn't use it...but it would still be losing capital value through depreciation while you weren't using it. I am loathe to make anyone else's decision. Now I live in a pretty rural area, and I couldn't cope without a car. My son would go for the car, to have more independence. But it really is down to how much you value the benefits compared with the costs. Once I had a car, I couldn't go back to not having one. When I broke my ankle and couldn't drive I felt trapped. You get very used to the freedom and independence of your own car.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.