Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to stop constant possessiveness and jealousy? Watch

I always feel like this.

For instance, whenever my friends go out without me, I'll feel this constant jealous type feeling (I'm not sure if it's called jealousy, or something else?) I feel I'll miss something, and it really affects me as much so I can't go on social media that night in fear of seeing photos of their brilliant night. I actually get a tightness in my chest and almost cry when I see photos and statuses, and it ruins my entire day. It happened this morning, and now I can't stop thinking about it.

I'm constantly paranoid about them talking about me and why they haven't invited me and never being invited out again. I always feel like they lie about going out too when they say they're staying in (this has never happened, but I still feel the need to talk to them all night to make sure they don't go out without telling me.)

I have around three different friendship groups, and I'm always paranoid about them meeting each other without me there, and then making plans behind my back, and liking each other more than they like me. So if I know that the groups will be out on the same night, I desperately do anything to end up going out too, so they won't talk without me. I did that this weekend as two groups were going to be out, even though I didn't want to go out at all.

I know I'm a ***** for feeling this way and doing these things, but I don't know how to change my thinking and stop. I don't choose to feel like this. It's actually really hard to live like this, and it's the worst thing for my mental health. I ended up crying when I went out because of feeling like everyone likes people better than they like me.

Anyone help?

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about them doing things without you, you organise some things to do together! The more you involve yourself in the friendship, the more they will involve you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I always feel like this.

For instance, whenever my friends go out without me, I'll feel this constant jealous type feeling (I'm not sure if it's called jealousy, or something else?) I feel I'll miss something, and it really affects me as much so I can't go on social media that night in fear of seeing photos of their brilliant night. I actually get a tightness in my chest and almost cry when I see photos and statuses, and it ruins my entire day. It happened this morning, and now I can't stop thinking about it.

I'm constantly paranoid about them talking about me and why they haven't invited me and never being invited out again. I always feel like they lie about going out too when they say they're staying in (this has never happened, but I still feel the need to talk to them all night to make sure they don't go out without telling me.)

I have around three different friendship groups, and I'm always paranoid about them meeting each other without me there, and then making plans behind my back, and liking each other more than they like me. So if I know that the groups will be out on the same night, I desperately do anything to end up going out too, so they won't talk without me. I did that this weekend as two groups were going to be out, even though I didn't want to go out at all.

I know I'm a ***** for feeling this way and doing these things, but I don't know how to change my thinking and stop. I don't choose to feel like this. It's actually really hard to live like this, and it's the worst thing for my mental health. I ended up crying when I went out because of feeling like everyone likes people better than they like me.

Anyone help?
    Everyone feels a bit jealous when friends go out without you - that's a given, probably because you're at home finishing your work or whatever and missing out on the fun.

You have to believe that not everyone is out to get you. People just won't do that - unless they're evil.

Have you tried talking to your friends about this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I always feel like this.

Anyone help?
    You need to specify whether your friends go out on their own without you or as a group without you. If this is recurring I would ask myself "why aren't they inviting me". Do you go out as a group with your friends or have they repeatedly not invited you to gatherings. An answer on your part to these questions would actually help me understand your situation slightly better.

It's difficult to pinpoint, from what you've mentioned, whether you're being paranoid, anxious or whether your claims are actually true. Clearly, if you're feeling this way something might not be quite right about your friendships. You shouldn't feel as though you're "being a *****" for feeling this way.

Perhaps discussing your feelings with a close confidant you trust could be beneficial if you have such a person in your life

I'll be able to give a better response if you answer the questions I have put above.

:borat:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 1970
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.