Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving test tomorrow. I'm panicking HELP!? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've had 32 hours of lessons now between BSM and a private instructor, ( I moved from BSM as they were pretty bad -_- )
    I feel confident with manoeuvres but I feel like I will get too nervous and mess up my points of turn what can I do to calm down?

ReputationRep:
    Nerves are a killer in the driving test. I failed my first one due to nerves - 3 majors and 14 minors lmao. passed the second time round with 11 minors. nerves are natural but the best advice I can give is to do breathing techniques, chew gum and relax. ask your instructor to mention to the examiner that youre nervous as well, it might let you away with very small mistakes that would otherwise get a minor. best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stcxrr)
    Nerves are a killer in the driving test. I failed my first one due to nerves - 3 majors and 14 minors lmao. passed the second time round with 11 minors. nerves are natural but the best advice I can give is to do breathing techniques, chew gum and relax. ask your instructor to mention to the examiner that youre nervous as well, it might let you away with very small mistakes that would otherwise get a minor. best of luck!
    Thank you for the advice!! I will definitely give it a go.
    Just out of curiosity, what time was your test? Mines at 9 in the morning and I don;t know how busy it will be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsgetemdrunk)
    Thank you for the advice!! I will definitely give it a go.
    Just out of curiosity, what time was your test? Mines at 9 in the morning and I don;t know how busy it will be
    The one I failed was at about 3pm and was quite busy but I didn't get took into the town, the one I passed was at half 8 in the morning, far quieter although we did go into the town. make sure you get a good sleep if its early though, because youll do a pre test lesson beforehand usually

ReputationRep:
    I've had 32 hours of lessons now between BSM and a private instructor, ( I moved from BSM as they were pretty bad -_- )
    I feel confident with manoeuvres but I feel like I will get too nervous and mess up my points of turn what can I do to calm down?
    Anyone doing a driving test is going to be nervous. I was bricking it, but because I'd had nearly 60 hours of lessons plus more time driving with my Dad next to me, it had become pretty much second nature and I passed first time with no minors. I took my test early afternoon during my fresher's week at uni!

The best way to relax yourself is to drive on your way to the centre so that you're not first moving off with the examiner in the car. Be polite and make friendly conversation with the examiner before you start your test to make both of you feel more at ease. This will help you to treat the examiner like your usual driving instructor rather than a stranger.

If, during the test, you make a mistake then acknowledge it verbally and apologise. For example, when I set off I clipped the curb as I pulled out of the car park but because I acknowledged it the examiner wasn't concerned. If you are unsure about any instructions then say so rather than panicking. They would much rather that you admit you're unsure than you have a crash or panic on a test! For example I was asked to pull over when safe to do so (something which you will be asked to do a lot) but was on a very thin stretch of road with double yellows and a roundabout ahead, so the examiner ended up suggesting where to stop and I did so safely. They won't tell you off for hesitating if you ask for guidance because they know you're nervous.

As to your comment later on about it being at 9am, most of the traffic should have dissipated by then as that's when people's work starts. You just might have to plan well to get there on time!

Edit: How impolite of me.. Nearly forgot to say GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    Try exercising before your test it helped me to relax and gets rid of the nerves. Also chewing gum is supposed to help or eating a banana before the test.

I would list driving test as one of the most nerve wracking things ever i would rather do an interview or an exam then do another driving test again as you don't know what will happen on the day you might get an idiot cut you up on the roundabout and all of a sudden you failed also paying £62 for the test and other lessons is a waste of money too.

Good luck i think 9am should be okay as everyone will be at work or school then hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    x
    (Original post by chikane)
    x.
    (Original post by stcxrr)
    x
    Guys I failed :cry2: 3 Majors

Clipped the curb while pulling up on the left on a hill

Examiner told me to go straight through a one way system and I almost entered the no entry

On a big round about to change lanes and I moved while checking my mirrors during my MSM (independent driving)

And that was it

All down to nerves I guess, my instructor was not happy...

Another booking it is!! #Nevergiveup

ReputationRep:
    Guys I failed :cry2: 3 Majors

Clipped the curb while pulling up on the left on a hill

Examiner told me to go straight through a one way system and I almost entered the no entry

On a big round about to change lanes and I moved while checking my mirrors during my MSM (independent driving)

And that was it

All down to nerves I guess, my instructor was not happy...

Another booking it is!! #Nevergiveup
    I passed on the 3rd attempt and my instructor said i should have passed both times. Its been reported that those who pass on the 2nd attempt are safest driver and i was glad i failed the 1st one as i was too nervous.

Chin up you can drive you and those are stuff you can easily sort out.

What maneuver did you get? i had 2 bay parking and then reverse around a corner (3rd attempt) would have crapped myself if i got parallel parking lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chikane)
    I passed on the 3rd attempt and my instructor said i should have passed both times. Its been reported that those who pass on the 2nd attempt are safest driver and i was glad i failed the 1st one as i was too nervous.

Chin up you can drive you and those are stuff you can easily sort out.

What maneuver did you get? i had 2 bay parking and then reverse around a corner (3rd attempt) would have crapped myself if i got parallel parking lol.
    PRSOM!

Thank you for your advice, it's just my family annoying me as my cousin who's 17 passed both theory and practical in one go like how?!!

But I would rather be a safe driver yeah I should just go in to the next test all relaxed and hopefully I should pass.. The examiner wasn't too bad as I expected worse.

I got bay parking too! but he did say he might of did an emergency stop but luckily he didn't lol those stops make me crap myself haha

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM!

Thank you for your advice, it's just my family annoying me as my cousin who's 17 passed both theory and practical in one go like how?!!

But I would rather be a safe driver yeah I should just go in to the next test all relaxed and hopefully I should pass.. The examiner wasn't too bad as I expected worse.

I got bay parking too! but he did say he might of did an emergency stop but luckily he didn't lol those stops make me crap myself haha
    Well your cousins insurance will hit the roof being 17 so i wouldn't care much about him/her also more likely to end up in a accident.
    I don't mind emergency stop its parallel parking i hate, would have loved turn in the road.

ReputationRep:
    I had 32 hours of lessons and was nervous before the test. However I had a lesson straight before the test. Once I started driving in that lesson, the nerves disappeared and I was fine. Once the test started I treated it as another lesson with a different person. Just focus on what you have to do and try not to think about the examiner. Just do everything that you've done in your lessons and you will be fine.
    As long as you calm stay calm when driving, everything will be ok.
    Make sure you get lots of sleep tonight so you're not tired tomorrow and make sure to eat something before you go on your test. Also make sure to use the toilet before the test too.
    Just keep aware of you're surroundings and don't panic in tricky situations. Stay calm and deal with it the best you can.
    I passed with 6 minors first time.
    Hope I helped I you.
    Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Calm down take a breather. Go and practice on some need for speed and you'll be hunky dory, I believe in ya

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.