Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

how can i integrate well into the british society? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right i am from malaysia and i will be coming to the UK complete a one year masters program. This will be my first time coming to the UK and i hope to make the most of my time here by "living the life here" so i hope to make some friends and "fit into the social circle". Right i think there will be some culture shock and i will struggle a bit. My english doesn't have the accent and I really have no idea. What do british people talk about and what they like? How can I "fit into the scene" and "be one of the lads"?

ReputationRep:
    What sort of things are you interested in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    What sort of things are you interested in?
    football, betting, drinking ,women, economics, science, travelling. european history and architecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyxstudio)
    Right i am from malaysia and i will be coming to the UK complete a one year masters program. This will be my first time coming to the UK and i hope to make the most of my time here by "living the life here" so i hope to make some friends and "fit into the social circle". Right i think there will be some culture shock and i will struggle a bit. My english doesn't have the accent and I really have no idea. What do british people talk about and what they like? How can I "fit into the scene" and "be one of the lads"?
    I doubt if the culture shock would last more than a few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Sign on (any benefit you can get)
    Shop at sports direct
    Read dailymail and watch JK

welcome.

ReputationRep:
    right i am from malaysia and i will be coming to the uk complete a one year masters program. This will be my first time coming to the uk and i hope to make the most of my time here by "living the life here" so i hope to make some friends and "fit into the social circle". Right i think there will be some culture shock and i will struggle a bit. My english doesn't have the accent and i really have no idea. What do british people talk about and what they like? How can i "fit into the scene" and "be one of the lads"?
    were football crazy here bro, just talk about football bro

ReputationRep:
    football, betting, drinking ,women, economics, science, travelling. european history and architecture.
    You'll fit in just fine

Seriously, many students spend much of their free time drinking and clubbing. There will be university clubs for your other interests.

ReputationRep:
    buy some people alcohol they'll instantly like you
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Doubt there will be much culture shock and you'll be fine.

Suggestions:
    1. Get involved and dont just stay with Malaysian friends or societies. Mix with English people and where you come from will be irrelevant.
    2. make a list of things youd lke to experience, places to visit, things to see and try to do one of them every weekend. Football matches, cuisine, famous places youve seen on TV, festivals etc.

Have fun.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly Football, Football, Football. If you like football you're sorted. If you are good at it even better. Even if you just watch it's such an easy conversation starter and eventually you'll find a group of people who eat, sleep and breathe it then you're sorted. If you don't like it then music is the next best option, but those are the top 2 in terms of getting to fit in quickly. Tbh you'll fit in quite easily, most people will be happy to talk to you.

ReputationRep:
    1. Drink tea
    2. Say cheers instead of thank you
    3. Be either completely for or against immigration
    4. Start to get annoyed if you have to wait more than 2 minutes for anything
    5. Be incredibly sarcastic to the point even you don't even know if it's sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    Learn basic grammar.

ReputationRep:
    I think you will fit in fine, I've spent some time there, and just having a feeling about you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.