Right i am from malaysia and i will be coming to the UK complete a one year masters program. This will be my first time coming to the UK and i hope to make the most of my time here by "living the life here" so i hope to make some friends and "fit into the social circle". Right i think there will be some culture shock and i will struggle a bit. My english doesn't have the accent and I really have no idea. What do british people talk about and what they like? How can I "fit into the scene" and "be one of the lads"?
What sort of things are you interested in?
Sign on (any benefit you can get)
Shop at sports direct
Read dailymail and watch JK
Doubt there will be much culture shock and you'll be fine.
1. Get involved and dont just stay with Malaysian friends or societies. Mix with English people and where you come from will be irrelevant.
2. make a list of things youd lke to experience, places to visit, things to see and try to do one of them every weekend. Football matches, cuisine, famous places youve seen on TV, festivals etc.
1. Drink tea
2. Say cheers instead of thank you
3. Be either completely for or against immigration
4. Start to get annoyed if you have to wait more than 2 minutes for anything
5. Be incredibly sarcastic to the point even you don't even know if it's sarcasm
I think you will fit in fine, I've spent some time there, and just having a feeling about you.