The Student Room Group

If your uni has to make savings and you were in charge, where would you make cuts?

Scroll to see replies

What about reducing vice chancellor salaries? And other highly paid admin roles.
Get rid of the salaries for sabbatical officers (like president of the union, etc).

I've seen the documents where they describe what they have achieved each term, and I am not impressed that they get paid a very nice salary for the amount of work they actually do.

I also believe elections are more of a popularity contest, rather than people voting for the best policies.

(Although this is just my experience at my uni, there probably are some very good officers out there!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by rayquaza17
Get rid of the salaries for sabbatical officers (like president of the union, etc).

I've seen the documents where they describe what they have achieved each term, and I am not impressed that they get paid a very nice salary for the amount of work they actually do.

I also believe elections are more of a popularity contest, rather than people voting for the best policies.

(Although this is just my experience at my uni, there probably are some very good officers out there!)

Well they're highly visible to the students and usually fairly annoying, but there aren't very many of them... I don't think you'd get much of a saving compared to the unseen army of admin staff the uni employs who seem to be running around creating admin work for each other
Pointless staff - so many receptionists and mangers of various departments who don't do anything and there's loads of teaching staff who teach one thing a week.
The students union - a waste of space most of the time
Mickey mouse degree funding
Advertising
General staff
various support services
hardship fund for students who can't budget
Sabbaticals are paid by the union, not the university
Academic staff who teach once a week may either be engaged in research ( income generation) or
Be sessional staff only employed for a certain number of hours

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending