Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have been offered a place for both Leeds HOA and Goldsmiths Contemporary Art Theory. I don't know what to do. Both have great curriculum. Griselda Pollack teaches in Leeds whereas goldsmiths is known for arts and humanities.

I have time till Friday. Quick help!!!!

ReputationRep:
    One strategy that might help:
    Write the name of each Uni and the course title at the top of a separate piece of paper. Divide the page into 2 columns: 1. the plus points of that course, Uni, city, 2. the negatives of that course, city, Uni. Stick these up on the wall, and add other points to them when you think of them. Be honest about this - ie. 'London feels more glamorous' etc.

Writing things down is often a very good way of clarifying the muddle of thoughts rushing about in your head. Seeing it all in black and white can often make you realise the more important aspects of the choice involved - like a significant academic - and make the 'right' decision much more obvious.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Berkay93. It'll be obvious which one gets my vote But let me know if you have any questions about the course at Leeds, our University or the city

Amanda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    One strategy that might help:
    Write the name of each Uni and the course title at the top of a separate piece of paper. Divide the page into 2 columns: 1. the plus points of that course, Uni, city, 2. the negatives of that course, city, Uni. Stick these up on the wall, and add other points to them when you think of them. Be honest about this - ie. 'London feels more glamorous' etc.

Writing things down is often a very good way of clarifying the muddle of thoughts rushing about in your head. Seeing it all in black and white can often make you realise the more important aspects of the choice involved - like a significant academic - and make the 'right' decision much more obvious.

Actually I did that. You may laugh but it was a tie )) Leeds is better academically but goldsmiths reputatiton in arts may be bigger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Leeds)
    Hi Berkay93. It'll be obvious which one gets my vote But let me know if you have any questions about the course at Leeds, our University or the city

Amanda
    Thanks for your message. I have real doubts about Leed's cultural life. I am a huge fan of classical music and a regular concert goer. I couldn't find so many concerts in Leeds. I am also curious about the art galleries and bookshops .
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    (Original post by berkay93)
    Thanks for your message. I have real doubts about Leed's cultural life. I am a huge fan of classical music and a regular concert goer. I couldn't find so many concerts in Leeds. I am also curious about the art galleries and bookshops .
    Hi

Thanks for your questions - Leeds has a really vibrant cultural life!

We're just about to launch into Leeds International Concert Season, on top of that there's the international pianoforte competition, concerts through the School of Music (which often offer free tickets for students), Opera North, Leeds College of Music, plus performances throughout the year at The Grand, the West Yorkshire Playhouse and Leeds Town Hall to name just a few. If that's not enough, it's also easy to reach other northern cities by train to experience their cultural offerings (Sheffield, Manchester etc).

Through Leeds University Union there are a range of music and performance societies who also put on regular shows and concerts.

In terms of bookshops, there's several of the big names (Waterstones, Blackwells, WH Smith) plus a wide range of smaller independent sellers.

Finally for art galleries - there's the Stanley and Audrey Burton Gallery (on campus), the Leeds Art Gallery and Henry Moore Institute, Munro House and a range of smaller galleries. Plus, nearby at Wakefield there's both the Hepworth and Yorkshire Sculpture Park. On top of this there are numerous attractions with a range of art and exhibitions on display.

I realise there's quite a lot of links there for you to explore, but hopefully it puts your mind at ease about the range of things to see and do in Leeds! And I've not even touched on things like the shopping, popular music and other activities like the Royal Armouries!

Some of the events and activities above are listed on the University of Leeds website (http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/101030/c...e/12/city_life) do let me know if you couldn't find this information on our site as I can feed this back to our web team.

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with!

Amanda

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.