The Student Room Group

how can I get a grip?

I'm not an "emotional" person as in not soppy or anything.

But am I emotional in the sense that emotions affect me ALOT.

I can't seem to get any revision done because of this.

for example: if my parents piss me off I just won't revise, like it puts me off so much. I can't because I'm so pissed off. Then when I try to revise I'll remember how pissed off I was, or they'll piss me off AGAIN. Usually, I just go to sleep since it's more productive than sitting around on the internet. But I'm worried because I can't revise.

Spoiler

It's mainly anger that's the issue, when I'm revising I get annoyed just by the presence of people.
Reply 1
:cry2::cry2::cry:
Reply 2
You'll need to get into the habit of ''challenging'' your emotional thoughts - constantly question whether the way you're feeling (e.g. angry) will

A) Matter in a week's time, or;
B) Is a natural overreaction to something

When you're angry try to understand why you're angry and whether there is actually any reasonable reason to be angry - most often there is always a way to overcome this anger by either letting go or solving the thing you angry with. But most importantly if the event that has caused your anger will not matter in a week's time, ask yourself why you should bother to focus on it.

Try to space out from your emotions and see things more rationally; it's difficult, but worthwhile.
Focus. revise in your room on your own. letting yourself be distracted is a habit you cant afford. Angers not gonna help you a lot by the time you get to exams, so make your choice.
Reply 4
Original post by Inexorably
You'll need to get into the habit of ''challenging'' your emotional thoughts - constantly question whether the way you're feeling (e.g. angry) will

A) Matter in a week's time, or;
B) Is a natural overreaction to something

When you're angry try to understand why you're angry and whether there is actually any reasonable reason to be angry - most often there is always a way to overcome this anger by either letting go or solving the thing you angry with. But most importantly if the event that has caused your anger will not matter in a week's time, ask yourself why you should bother to focus on it.

Try to space out from your emotions and see things more rationally; it's difficult, but worthwhile.

it probably won't matter in a weeks time, but will probably happen in a weeks time.

I can't help it and I don't have the energy to deal with emotions so I just got to sleep.

okay I'll try
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
it probably won't matter in a weeks time, but will probably happen in a weeks time.

I can't help it and I don't have the energy to deal with emotions so I just got to sleep.

okay I'll try

I understand how draining it is to feel emotionally exhausted, but you have to constantly ask yourself whether going to bed early because of it is really a) a sensible thing to do to your sleeping pattern and b) solving anything.
Reply 6
Cant you just tell your parents how they make you feel and ask them to leave you alone. I felt that when I was revising for my GCSEs and we came to an agreement that when I was in my room they'd leave me alone. On the other score just try not to think about it.

Quick Reply

Latest