The Student Room Group

Your views on feminism?

Reason why I'm asking this is because even though I'm a woman, I don't agree with feminism. I believe it's getting quite radical as some women will make themselves superior to men. I'm not a feminist because men and women aren't equal, we are designed for different things so I get so angry when they should be 'equal' because we're different and that's all that matters. I think feminism is mainly women wanted to be seen as 'not inferior to men' and closing down the gender gap. Of course they should be treated equally but it's the differences that make up the world.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I believe in fair treatment, I am feminist by dictionary definition.

However I dont want to associate myself with the horde of angry women and clueless men that ignore the many problems men face, like higher prison sentences, people assuming guilt, lower pay in divorce settlements, education system is built against us , having 50% of abuse victims be male but not nearly as many resources........

I agree that omen have many problems too
I do not identify as a feminist. I think that what feminism started out as, and what current feminists preach, is a good ethos (equality for everyone e.c.t.) but I think that they have moved away from that and do not practise what they preach. I think feminism should be focussed on helping people in 3rd world countries, not moaning about what clothes women get mocked for wearing in the western world.
Reply 3
Original post by Thisguy11
I believe in fair treatment, I am feminist by dictionary definition.

However I dont want to associate myself with the horde of angry women and clueless men that ignore the many problems men face, like higher prison sentences, people assuming guilt, lower pay in divorce settlements, education system is built against us , having 50% of abuse victims be male but not nearly as many resources........

I agree that omen have many problems too

I agree 100%. I agree with equal treatment but only for the right reasons. Feminism is becoming where females want to rule men but isn't that a contradiction on their beliefs? It's the reason why I left feminism because it's not fair treatment. There's this new term called "white feminism" now because a lot of feminist activists are white and want the white people to dominate? I don't know about that but I've heard it.
S'good
Reply 5
Third wave feminism has turned equality into "accept that women are superior to men, you misogynistic sexist male privilege bully"

So yeah, I'm not to thrilled about it.
Reply 6
I like feminism it makes me laugh, at umich yesterday to get female voices heard they decided to try to silence a talk by 2 women.
Also, feminism is largely about empowering women and letting them be whoever they want to, freedom and all that.
However, I've spoken to many feminists who have said that I MUST be a feminist because I want equal rights for everyone. If I try to inform them that actually I am not a feminist, they just insist that I am and that I don't know the true meaning of feminism.
So to recap, people advocating free speech and free self-identification don't accept how I identify... how hypocritical
Reply 8
tbh I think feminism is a bit of a failure. It has driven the wedge between the sexes even further because the fact of the matter is, feminism is an exclusionary ideology.
Rampant man hating, constant bitching about "male privilege" while ignoring male responsibility, demands for equality but only in the areas that would benefit them etc etc

I don't mind feminism when it comes to empowering women and that, however when they use it to discriminate against men that is just too far.
Reply 9
Original post by Rhythmical
Reason why I'm asking this is because even though I'm a woman, I don't agree with feminism. I believe it's getting quite radical as some women will make themselves superior to men. I'm not a feminist because men and women aren't equal, we are designed for different things so I get so angry when they should be 'equal' because we're different and that's all that matters. I think feminism is mainly women wanted to be seen as 'not inferior to men' and closing down the gender gap. Of course they should be treated equally but it's the differences that make up the world.

I think its hard for women to as for 'equality' in some senses, i.e. in physical jobs etc where men are biologically stronger than women. But when you say "We are designed for different things", what exactly do you mean?
This is a scary place to be on TSR :afraid:

Spoiler

It's just reverse-chauvinism and is harmful to young men trying to make something of their lives.
Feminism is a fair concept and I agree that men and women should be treated as roughly equal. However, everything is relative and if you think about how much power women have gained in the last century or so then I think extreme feminism is becoming slightly outdated. That's not to say that we should just forget about gender equality but for now I think we should focus on other more significant issues like poverty, terrorism, etc.

At the end of the day though, men and women can never be equal as we are biologically different so where will feminism end?

I also get a bit angry when men are seen as inferior, for example when innocent people are killed and they talk about 'women and children' as if the loss of a male life means less.
Original post by hsm998
I think its hard for women to as for 'equality' in some senses, i.e. in physical jobs etc where men are biologically stronger than women. But when you say "We are designed for different things", what exactly do you mean?
I mean physically as men are naturally stronger and women are more able to handle situations emotionally.
Reply 14
Personally I don't like this idea of equal representation, positive discrimination etc in order to get women up to a particular % of the workforce. all positions should be based on meritocracy. Inequality in society is unfortunately an inevitability due to the capitalist system and aspects of human nature- Male and Female. Feminism therefore I feel has no real place in western civilisation because frankly, its not an issue that women cant run about topless or whatever perceived inequality exists. in the developing world however, I think feminism can be a force for good. look at Saudi Arabia, women aren't allowed to drive ffs. its places like that where the feminism of the suffragettes in Britain would be most welcome, but certainly not that nonsensical third wave feminism malarkey.
Reply 15
Original post by Rhythmical

You don't wanna be treated equal to your male counterparts? You don't want to be paid the same for the same amount of work you do? You don't want to vote? You don't want to have the right to divorce your husband whenever you want to? You don't wanna drive a vehicle? You don't want to become whatever you wanted to? You don't wanna own property for yourself? Well you can go to Saudi Arabia and see how ya like it there, where you're treated like a slave and a sex object. Because that's what feminism has achieved. The bloody definition is:

it never said women and men are equal or one is superior mentally or physically, it's a movement to get the world to treat women as equal to men. EQUALITY. not SUPERIORITY. So for you to just dismiss everything that women in the past have sacrificed their LIVES to give you, then m8 idek what to say like get off the internet and make a sandwich for your man
(edited 7 years ago)
Feminism is a backwards concept which must be reversed
It's ********.
Original post by z33
You don't wanna be treated equal to your male counterparts? You don't want to be paid the same for the same amount of work you do? You don't want to vote? You don't want to have the right to divorce your husband whenever you want to? You don't wanna drive a vehicle? You don't want to become whatever you wanted to? You don't wanna own property for yourself? Well you can go to Saudi Arabia and see how ya like it there, where you're treated like a slave and a sex object. Because that's what feminism has achieved. The bloody definition is:

it never said women and men are equal or one is superior mentally or physically, it's a movement to get the world to treat women as equal to men. EQUALITY. not SUPERIORITY. So for you to just dismiss everything that women in the past have sacrificed their LIVES to give you, then m8 idek what to say like get off the internet and make a sandwich for your man

I was going to start typing but then you summed it all up perfectly :h:
Anyone who has family from the Middle East or many parts of Africa will see the importance of feminism. When I hear about horrible practices such as FGM and forced child marriages, I remember that feminism is so much more than the little things that the teenagers on Tumblr complain about. See, yesterday I was watching a documentary about a young, 17 year old Pakistani girl who was killed (in USA) by her own parents. She was forced to marry an old man (her father's cousin) in Pakistan but when she returned to USA she continued to be very close with one of her male friends. A beautiful 17 year old girl killed by her own parents and you know what they called it? They called it honour. See this is why I fight for women's rights. It's sad that so many people don't understand that it isn't about acting as if men and women are identical or that one is superior to the other. It's about ensuring that they are treated equally..

I'll stop now before I get carried away... :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Feminism is a good things that's needed in third world undeveloped countries and places like Saudi Arabia, however "Feminism" in its current definition is unnecessary in the UK/USA/Developed countries, as women have some privileges as well as men do, so Egalitarianism is probably better for developed countries.

Quick Reply

Latest