Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 142
Size:  249.8 KB

I understand how to do it for say y = (tan(1+x)^-1) but this fraction is really throwing me off... any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2014_GCSE)
    Name:  FullSizeRender (1).jpg
Views: 142
Size:  249.8 KB

I understand how to do it for say y = (tan(1+x)^-1) but this fraction is really throwing me off... any advice?
    2014 AQA right? Anyway, just approach it as normal, it falls out nicely (From memory at least)

ReputationRep:
    write f(x) = tan(y)

make x the subject, then find dx/dy.... after that you can get dy/dx easily.

ReputationRep:
    In the first part you have shown that
     \displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx} = \frac{1}{1+x^2}
    So now just solve the differential equation giving  y= \arctan x + c .
    y is defined above as  \arctan \left  ( \frac{1+x}{1-x} \right ) so substitute that in for y. Then find c as you normally would and rearrange to give the required result.
    ^ for the second part of the question.

For the first part just use chain rule (you will need quotient rule as well when differentiating the fraction).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, zetamcfc, the bear and B_9710. I managed to get part a) with what you guys said but still struggling with part b). I even just had a look at the mark scheme and I still am not really understanding b)...

For the post above, where have you pulled the equation "y=arctanx + c" from? I understand it may give you the answer but I don't understand the logical steps?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Thanks, zetamcfc, the bear and B_9710. I managed to get part a) with what you guys said but still struggling with part b). I even just had a look at the mark scheme and I still am not really understanding b)...

For the post above, where have you pulled the equation "y=arctanx + c" from? I understand it may give you the answer but I don't understand the logical steps?
    What's part b?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    What's part b?
    Sorry, I didn't realise the photo didn't have the letters in there. Part b) is "Hence, given that x<1... etc."
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Sorry, I didn't realise the photo didn't have the letters in there. Part b) is "Hence, given that x<1... etc."
    We need to know what ...etc is

Edit: stupid me :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Integrate your dy/dx, what do you see?

ReputationRep:

It comes from solving the differential equation  \displaystyle y=\frac{1}{1+x^2} .
    And remember that  \displaystyle \int \frac{1}{1+x^2} dx = \arctan x +c .

ReputationRep:
    Ah, of course. Got it!! Thanks everybody

We need to know what ...etc is
    I put the question in the OP

ReputationRep:
    Ah, of course. Got it!! Thanks everybody

I put the question in the OP
    I wouldn't do it the way that the other users have, I'd write f(x) = \arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x} - \arctan x, then from the first part, notice that:

\displaystyle f'(x) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left(\arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x} - \arctan x \right) = \frac{1}{1+x^2} - \frac{1}{1+x^2} = 0

So that f'(x) = 0 \Rightarrow f(x) = c. Then f(0) = \arctan{1} - \arctan{0} = \frac{\pi}{4}.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I wouldn't do it the way that the other users have, I'd write f(x) = \arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x} - \arctan x, then from the first part, notice that:

\displaystyle f'(x) = \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} \left(\arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x} - \arctan x \right) = \frac{1}{1+x^2} - \frac{1}{1+x^2} = 0

So that f'(x) = 0 \Rightarrow f(x) = c. Then f(0) = \arctan{1} - \arctan{0} = \frac{\pi}{4}.
    STEP I question there?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Why would you know that f'(x)=0?

I assume you're not used that fact f(x)=\frac{\pi}{4} as that'd be circular reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you know that f'(x)=0?

I assume you're not used that fact f(x)=\dfrac{\pi}{4} as that'd be circular reasoning.
    Because (\arctan x)' = \frac{1}{1+x^2} and \left(\arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)' = \frac{1}{1+x^2}.

Derivative is a linear operator so since you're differentiating the difference of two things whose derivatives are the same, then f'(x) = 0. So f(x) is a constant and plugging in any value of x will reveal the value of this constant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    STEP I question there?
    First part of a STEP I question from a paper in the 80's or 90's iirc.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Because (\arctan x)' = \frac{1}{1+x^2} and \left(\arctan \frac{1+x}{1-x}\right)' = \frac{1}{1+x^2}.

Derivative is a linear operator so since you're differentiating the difference of two things whose derivatives are the same, then f'(x) = 0. So f(x) is a constant and plugging in any value of x will reveal the value of this constant.
    That was stupid of me. Didn't notice they were the same. Thanks. Noted.

ReputationRep:
    That was stupid of me. Didn't notice they were the same. Thanks. Noted.
    I think that was the intended solution as well - they gave you part (a) to show the derivative of that is the derivative of \arctan x too. It's a nice concept.

ReputationRep:
    I think that was the intended solution as well - they gave you part (a) to show the derivative of that is the derivative of \arctan x too. It's a nice concept.
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN14.PDF

Q7 if you want the desired solution

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zetamcfc)
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN14.PDF

Q7 if you want the desired solution
    Thanks for setting me straight. :lol:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.