The Student Room Group

CIA and Pentagon fighting each other in Syria!

It turns out that the CIA and Pentagon departments have been fighting each other in Syria!, how is there such a lack on central control in the U.S.
And where did you hear about this and why would either of these organisations reveal something like that?
Reply 2
Original post by Vikingninja
And where did you hear about this and why would either of these organisations reveal something like that?

RT news

So because some news source said something it means that its automatically true?
Original post by macetheace
RT news

really lol
Original post by macetheace
It turns out that the CIA and Pentagon departments have been fighting each other in Syria!, how is there such a lack on central control in the U.S.

source
Original post by BaconandSauce
source

They gave the name of it but its a news source I've never heard of so sounds like bullocks.
Reply 7
can we have a link pls

They gave the name of it but its a news source I've never heard of so sounds like bullocks.

youve never heard of RT?
Original post by Kielbasa
can we have a link pls

youve never heard of RT?

Am I supposed to know of some random Russian government funded news site?
Reply 9
Am I supposed to know of some random Russian government funded news site?

they're pretty well known.
they're pretty well known.

Well its not on Sky and I don't go searching Russian news sources on google.

edit: ok was wrong it is on sky, but I don't exactly go on the dedicated news section of sky.
Reply 11
Well its not on Sky and I don't go searching Russian news sources on google.

Yes it is, it's even in HD.
Yes it is, it's even in HD.

I corrected myself in my post.
RT :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by BaconandSauce
RT :biggrin:

He hasn't even provided a link for it, and I haven't been able to find it online.
Reply 15
He hasn't even provided a link for it, and I haven't been able to find it online.

A group backed by the pentagon had an affiliate solely operating in the south of the country. This affiliate is not backed by the pentagon but has been clashing with a group backed by the CIA. As with everything else in Syria the situation is extremely murky. Perfectly ripe for RT propaganda efforts

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
I believe the originating source is this article from LA Times. It has since been picked up by several news outlets, include RT, which I'm sure is salivating at the propaganda opportunities.

Unfortunately, there is at least some truth to this report. It is common knowledge that the US is supporting Syrian rebels through two different initiatives, one fronted by the CIA which is focused on putting pressure on Assad and ISIS, and another by the Pentagon which is concentrated solely on ISIS. The CIA-backed rebels (Knights of Righteousness) have been forced to confront the Pentagon's Kurdish fighters (Syrian Democratic Forces) due to Russian airstrikes shifting battlefronts closer.

Bear in mind though, this report does not play into the misconception that the US is arming Al-Qaeda/ISIS/whatever nonsense RT and its viewers spew. The CIA and Pentagon backed groups are both opponents of ISIS and Al-Nusra, and have fought the groups on several occasions. This story is more about the bureaucratic conflict between the CIA and the Pentagon, and their incompetency in generating a coherent strategy towards Syria - not so much a sinister plot to arm terrorists which has backfired as RT would like to portray.
at first i thought its a hoax, how can this happened, then i bumped into this on youtube

[video="youtube;jjE7lXLOJd4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjE7lXLOJd4[/video]
Original post by skay
I believe the originating source is this article from LA Times. It has since been picked up by several news outlets, include RT, which I'm sure is salivating at the propaganda opportunities.

Unfortunately, there is at least some truth to this report. It is common knowledge that the US is supporting Syrian rebels through two different initiatives, one fronted by the CIA which is focused on putting pressure on Assad and ISIS, and another by the Pentagon which is concentrated solely on ISIS. The CIA-backed rebels (Knights of Righteousness) have been forced to confront the Pentagon's Kurdish fighters (Syrian Democratic Forces) due to Russian airstrikes shifting battlefronts closer.

Bear in mind though, this report does not play into the misconception that the US is arming Al-Qaeda/ISIS/whatever nonsense RT and its viewers spew. The CIA and Pentagon backed groups are both opponents of ISIS and Al-Nusra, and have fought the groups on several occasions. This story is more about the bureaucratic conflict between the CIA and the Pentagon, and their incompetency in generating a coherent strategy towards Syria - not so much a sinister plot to arm terrorists which has backfired as RT would like to portray.

Pretty much this.

To add a bit of context, this is about a rebel area north of Aleppo. The Syrian government cut this rebel area off from the rest of rebel held northern Syria recently (February), so it basically became a pocket. Then, the SDF (a coalition led by the Kurdish YPG) moved in and captured the rebel stronghold of Tall Rifaat, meaning that this rebel pocket no longer has a frontline with the government. They moved in from Afrin, a YPG held canton which has seen blockades and occasional clashes with the rebels for a while now, so there have always been tensions, but the tensions and fighting seem to be worse now. To the east you have ISIS territory.

The YPG is a US ally, and some US backed rebel groups are fighting them. It's a bit more complicated than that, but that's the gist of it.

http://www.agathocledesyracuse.com/archives/687 (this includes a map to show what I'm on about).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending