Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    After studying a business related degree which I will finish next year I've realised my heart is in nursing (mental health) and that is definitely what I want to do.

Unfortunately my current qualifications are irrelevant to get me onto the course. I've volunteered in a SEN school in both education and occupational therapy for over a year and been part of a outreach service in Kenya to help young people with addiction. I live in my own apartment so the Univeristy would have to be near Brighton, living costs are also an issue.

My qualifications:
    BA Hons Music Business (2:1 predicted)
    BTEC 90 Credit Music Distinction*** (half btec level 3)
    A/S Art (c)
    5 gcse's a* - c not including science.
    Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths (equivalent)

Anyone know what my options are, will Universities make exceptions as I've already got a full degree? I've looked into access courses but I can't commit full time otherwise I'd end up homeless as need some sort of income and the. Brighton's foundation degree is only for healthcare practitioners.

So desperate to get into this career main issue is being able to support myself and travel.

Thanks so much for reading this. xx
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Meadowhead)
    After studying a business related degree which I will finish next year I've realised my heart is in nursing (mental health) and that is definitely what I want to do.

Unfortunately my current qualifications are irrelevant to get me onto the course. I've volunteered in a SEN school in both education and occupational therapy for over a year and been part of a outreach service in Kenya to help young people with addiction. I live in my own apartment so the Univeristy would have to be near Brighton, living costs are also an issue.

My qualifications:
    BA Hons Music Business (2:1 predicted)
    BTEC 90 Credit Music Distinction*** (half btec level 3)
    A/S Art (c)
    5 gcse's a* - c not including science.
    Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths (equivalent)

Anyone know what my options are, will Universities make exceptions as I've already got a full degree? I've looked into access courses but I can't commit full time otherwise I'd end up homeless as need some sort of income and the. Brighton's foundation degree is only for healthcare practitioners.

So desperate to get into this career main issue is being able to support myself and travel.

Thanks so much for reading this. xx
    Best thing to do is to contact brighton admissions and ask if they'll accept you with your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Best thing to do is to contact brighton admissions and ask if they'll accept you with your degree.
    Hi.

I would definitely phone your local universities and enquire. I go to a London university and I know for our postgraduate course, as long as you have a 2:1 or above, they'll consider you no matter what your previous degree. You also have relevant work experience which should work in your favour!

Good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.